Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mo mojitos please.

A couple of weekends ago, I had a great visit with my cousin, Margo, aka Marjean, aka Wee Jeannie. We did our annual HBC fur trade, minus the fur but with beautiful Organic Blueberries. Not only did we have a great visit at Coombs - we had a nice lunch, a great walk through all the shops and market, ice cream and just a nice time catching up. What also happened, was that she gave me my birthday present. She always gives the best gifts, but this one may be one of my faves. A 'Marjies Mojito' kit.


Oh my. I love mojitos, but I have never made them before. They are super easy - but better than that - they are flippin' deelish!!!n Before you pull out the mint from the garden - take the time to make a few of these, you will not be disappointed.

Marjie's Mojitos

Fresh mint sprigs
Juice of one lime
Simple Syrup*
Rum
Club soda

*Simple syrup - 1 part sugar to one part water. This will keep in the fridge so you can make it with 1 cup of each or 1/2 a cup of each. Add both water and sugar to a saucepan and bring it to a gentle boil until the sugar dissolves. Let it cool in a jar. I tried to make it with cane sugar first but the syrup was too dark and wouldn't be as appealing with the mojito. I have kept it and have used a tbsp when I make iced tea.

In a large glass, put in the fresh mint sprigs. Lots if you like mint - maybe 10-12 leaves. Muddle (fancy word for squish) the leaves with the end of a wooden spoon.

Add the juice of 1/2 a lime. Save the lime as you can add that to the glass at the end for more lime flavour.

Add 1-2 tbsp of the simple syrup.

Add a shot (or two) of white rum.

Fill the glass with club soda.

Stir gently.

And that's it. It's time for you to enjoy this incredibly refreshing drink. I made these 'virgin' style as well - without the rum. They were also incredibly refreshing too.
I picked up a sun hat when we were at the market and husband wore it around the house for a bit. Good thing I got it on film.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

No comments: