Thursday, September 15, 2011

Popeye's breakfast



It had been over a month since I had bought a cooking magazine. Over one WHOLE month. That's a bit of a world record for me. When we were in the Vancouver airport - I told Chris that I was going to treat myself to a magazine for the flight. I was a little disappointed at their selection - I could have went with a gossip mag or something food related. I went with Canadian Living. I actually quite like their magazine. I like that it's Canadian, of course, but I like a lot of their recipes - and I feel like it's a it 'local'.

The recipe section wasn't too bad. There was an egg recipe that I copied - tweaked it a bit - and made it for us for a late breakfast this past Sunday. I think that I will definitely make this again - super easy, super healthy and super deelish.


Spinach and Eggs

4 eggs
1 large bunch of fresh spinach - washed and dried - or you can use frozen that has been defrosted
1 clove of garlic - minced
4 pieces of bread - I used pumpernickel - but sourdough, or a baguette would be just as nice

Prepare the spinach first - as it takes the longest out of all of the steps. In a large skillet drizzle a tsp of olive oil. Add the garlic and the spinach with a pinch of kosher salt and pepper and saute until the spinach is fully cooked and wilted - just as it should. Probably about 5 minutes.

Poached eggs: bring a pot of water to a boil and add a tsp of vinegar. Crack the eggs into a bowl - ensuring that the yolks stay together. Stir the water and gently add the eggs to the boiling water - stop stirring once the eggs are being added. Boil for 2 minutes exactly.

Toast the bread.

Assemble: Toast, spinach and egg.


So easy. So tasty and it actually looks quite pretty I think.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Mmmmmm. This looks delish. I actually do quite a similar breakfast, except with fried egg instead of poached, and with an oz of goat cheese spread on the bread before the hot spinach. Yum.