Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Summer fruit...I will miss you.



This summer has been a culinary dream. I think that really every summer is, but for some reason the fruit and vegetables that were available this summer, made me feel like I was in paradise. Although summer really didn't hit until some time in August and we really only ate outside a handful of times, the fresh and local ingredients made me feel that summer still showed up.

This summer I fell in love with so many different fruits. Some I have every summer and some were new.


Blueberries I always love. When they start showing up at the Root Cellar I feel like a kid in a candy store. I just can't get enough of them.

Watermelon - oh my. When it is cold and cut up into small cubes - I could potentially sit down and eat a 10 pounder. Ok, that's exaggerating - but oh I love it. I loved the watermelon juice that I made - such a refreshing treat.

Yellow watermelon - I don't think that it will ever know what an incredible surprise it was for me to cut into that little sweet melon - and find yellow - not bright red - yellow. Eating it was even way more incredible. Ice cold - small cubes - I could just eat that I think for the rest of my life.



Plums - oh these incredible gems. They come in so many different varieties, but these fuscia morsels are the most beautiful things from nature. The sweetness is even more incredible if that is even possible.
Nectarines and peaches - oh love. I am sad that the Root Cellar has signs up saying that it is the last of summer from the Okanagan. I stocked up - but it will never be enough.


All of these - maybe not the watermelons - but adding every berry you can imagine and all of these other gems make the most incredible baked fruit ever.

I am really going to miss summer this year for the reason that all of this incredible, beautiful fruit is leaving us. Another year will have to go by before we can soak all of these fruits in again.

My sister has a plum tree in her back yard. She brought me over a bag - they were deelish. I ate half of them, pretty much the night that she brought them, and then whipped up an easy pie with the rest. I mean easy.


Plum Pie

Pie crust - click HERE for the recipe
20 plums - halved and remove the seeds
1 1/2 tbps of cane sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 350. Roll out the pie crust and place into either a tart pan or a pie plate. I had an extra ball of dough in the freezer - and it tastes just as fresh.


Place the plums individually on the pie crust. Add them on a slight angle so each one slightly overlaps the next.
Sprinkle with cane sugar.
Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Remove - let cool slightly. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or plain yogurt sweetened with vanilla.

So, as I write this message, I have said farewell to my plums, my yellow watermelon, and I will cherish my peaches and nectarines for the next couple of days. Thankfully my blueberry stock will keep me throughout the winter.

What fruit will you miss the most?

Loves.

Enjoy!

I will miss you all like I have never missed anything before.

No comments: