Sunday, September 18, 2011

Upside-down ShihTzu Cake



It's been a bit of an action-packed weekend and at the same time - no action at all. Just the way that we tend to like it around here.


It was Chris' bday on Friday. We didn't celebrate in any huge way - just a few of our friends in for dinner, drinks and cake. Very low key. Rosalyn (who made our wedding cake) made his birthday cake for me.


For years, Chris has called our Jozie an 'Upside-down Shihtzu Cake'. Mostly b/c she lies like this - and it's too cute for him to just say 'Jozie is lying on her back'. He has said that we have to figure out how to make a cake upside-down so that we can call it an 'Upside-down Shihtzu Cake'. So for this birthday, I asked Ros to work her magic and see if she could pull it off. And.... she did!! And.. she did an amazing job. Not only was the butter pecan so tasty - but the cake really did look like Jozie being an Upside-down shihtzu cake.


So I have been loving watermelon. I usually do - but I, without knowledge, bought a mini yellow watermelon. Who knew? I didn't know. I guess I could have paid more attention to the sign, but I just saw the word 'mini' and 'watermelon' and $.49/lb and was happy to pick one up. The only thing that I don't love about these mini gems is that they have the seeds in them. I didn't realize just how spoiled we are that we live in a place where we can eat watermelon and not have to worry about the seeds. Remember what it was like when we were kids? Your parents would cut it up and then make you go and eat it outside so that you could spit the seeds on to the grass, and preferably not at your sister or brother. Is it laziness that we live in a place that we don't want to have to worry about seeds? I kind of think that it is. But... at the same time, I am not going to complain when I cut open another watermelon and there aren't any seeds.


I took these pictures of watermelon awhile ago - and I really liked how they turned out. The colour of the fruit is so perfect. Oh, I love nature.
This is watermelon juice. It's basically a bunch of chopped up watermelon thrown into the blender, and it made a delicious and refreshing juice. I think that it would be lovely with a splash of soda as well.

Alrighty - I am about to head into the kitchen to make gumbo. I haven't made it for years - but I have had a craving for it. I will be sure to share.

I hope that you have all had a great weekend - soaking in the rest of summer b/c it's almost done - T minus 3 days.

Loves.

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Pili said...

Happy Birthday Chris!! omg that cake looks super cute!!!!!!!!! that is so coool!!!!

Tracy Risinger said...

Oh was a great cake!!! Roz did a fantastic job... as usual and a great big huge Happy Birthday to Chris :) YUM xo

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that you had an upside Josie for cake, Rosanlind, you are so creative. Good idea Chers