Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fall - welcome.



Oh hello Fall. Welcome. Enjoy your visit for the next 3 months. I would appreciate it if you were dry, not wet. That you cool and crisp and not damp and windy. I would like for you to have a couple of Sundays where it's wet and dark and cold all day so that I don't feel guilty about not leaving the house and spend the day in my cozy clothes. Remember only a couple of those days. I think that if you can pull this off, it's going to be a great visit.

It's a blistery one out there tonight. I love the word blistery. I don't love the word blister. Trust me, I am not a fan of that. The word 'blister' reminds me of being a kid and getting new figure skates at the beginning of every season. New skates = El Diablo. The hard, very hard leather, doesn't give, your feet can't move in them and as a result you get golf ball sized blisters on your feet. Your feet hurt so much that you want to just stand at the boards and whimper - but then every time you try you hear your skating coach yell 'Cheryl, stop standing still and move your butt'. Or your sister skates by and says 'You're going to get in so much trouble from mom if you don't move it'. Or when you get off the ice and you have to try and pull your skates off without the blister popping and you hear your mom say 'Well that was a waste of an hour'. See! What had to deal with as a child skater - a child prodigy. Just kidding. Ya, so new skates can be really painful - but then once you break the skates in they mold to your feet so incredibly that they are the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet.

Where was I?

Oh ya - it's blistery out there. Magnum is growling at the wind. He's cute. Not tough. He's more of a lover not a fighter.

Tonight would have been a delightful night for a bowl of homemade soup. I would have liked to have made soup tonight, but... I did a Subway sandwich instead. It's a treat. I had my workout, walked the pups and headed to Subway. Oh not the subway - Victoria doesn't have one. Subway restaurant. I'm goofy tonight.

I made this soup last week, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I will be making this again - and I am not sure that I will change it at all.


Italian Wedding Soup Sims Style

1 eggplant - chopped into small pieces - about 2-3 cups
1 zucchini - chopped into small pieces - about 2-3 cups
3 cloves of garlic
1 onion
1 cup of orzo
25 small meatballs - click here for the easiest recipe
6 cups of chicken stock
Kosher salt and pepper
Soft mozzarella - one slice per bowl of soup

Pre-heat the oven to 400. Place the chopped eggplant, zucchini and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. Place the sheet in the oven and roast for about 30-40 minutes - until the vegetables are golden, soft and slightly caramelized.

In a large pot, saute the onion in small dash of olive oil and kosher salt. When the onion is translucent add the stock to the pot. Remove the garlic from the baking sheet and with the side of your knife, mash up the garlic and mince. Add the garlic, eggplant and zucchini to the soup. Add the cooked meatballs and let it simmer. Let simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Add in the orzo and continue to let it simmer until the orzo is el dente.

Serve the soup into the bowl and place a slice of soft mozzarella on top. Let it melt and enjoy.

Alright - time to curl up and hang with the husband.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: