Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oh October

I kind of can't believe that Halloween is just around the corner, and October is almost over. I'm so sad. The month went by so quickly. It's my favourite month, and it's almost done. I feel that the month just came and went so quickly. It's like take a breath and 15 days pass.

November is one of my new favourite months now too. In 32 days it will be our 1 year anniversary. 1 year! This time last year was full of so much excitement. It's been a great year - marriage wise - and I can't wait for our anniversary. We are going to do the traditional wedding gifts each year - 1st year is paper. I have an idea - and hopefully I can pull it off.

I just joined Pinterest. I was calling it 'P interest'. My friend Tracy told me not to call it that. How embarrassing. Anyways. Uh - how could I not have joined this sooner? There are some incredible ideas. I don't really know how to use it at this point - but it has been fun looking around on it. I found a recipe for pumpkin frozen yogurt and no sugar no butter chocolate chip cookies - oh my - I'll keep you posted.

A couple of weeks ago my friend, Beth, brought me a bag of mixed grains from Trader Joe's. I really want to go to Trader Joe's - she has brought me a few different treats from there - I am spoiled. These mixed grains were Israeli cous cous, vegetarian orzo, red quinoa and mini garbanzo beans. I LOVED this mix. I used it in our turkey soup and then in stuffed peppers. Since we don't have a Trader Joe's here, I need to try and make the mix myself.

For this stuffed pepper recipe, if you don't have Trader Joe's grain blend, then try it with any of the following: quinoa, barley or rice.

IMG_1465

Stuffed Peppers

6 bell peppers - for stuffing
1 cup of blended grains
Vegetable stock
1 onion - chopped
2 garlic cloves - minced
1 lb of ground chicken
1 cup of corn
1 bell pepper - chopped into small pieces
2 tbsp of tomato sauce or paste
1/2 cup of goat cheese
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

*This is a very easy to make vegetarian. The grains are full of protein.

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

Prepare your grains as per the packaging. I cooked my grains in vegetable stock instead of water.

In a large skillet saute the onion in a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Saute for about 8 minutes and add the garlic. Then add the ground chicken and saute until full cooked. Add in the tomato paste, the bell pepper and the corn. Add in the grains and let it simmer to have all of the flavours meld together.

In the meantime, slice off the top of the peppers. You can chop up the tops of the peppers if you like and add it to the stuffing.

Stir in the goat cheese until it is blended in. Spoon the mixture into each of the peppers. Mix the parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and top each of the peppers with this topping.

Lay all of the peppers in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Broil for the last 3 minutes on low to lightly brown the topping.

IMG_1463

I served these with a simple salad - and they were a hit!

Loves.

Enjoy!







No comments: