Sunday, October 23, 2011

Right now...

IMG_1550

I am...
- sipping on a hot cup of Cammomile tea - it's my new favourite thing
- watching the end of 'Top Chef - Just Desserts' - and the drama drives me nuts but I can't help watching what they make
- loving my new nail polish that I got in America for 'free' by accident.

IMG_1558

- sore from my workout with Tanya yesterday. My shoulders, abs and biceps are in pain. Good pain though. I am going to start working out with her again - I missed her so. We did a completely different workout than we have done before. I am not sure where she comes up with some of this stuff - but oh my oh my.
- thinking about taking the pups for a walk - somedays I would just like to stay in my pjs all day instead
- in awe of the beautiful Chestnut tree that reaches into our yard. At this point, the falling leaves are worth it. The colours are incredible.

IMG_1555

- looking forward to having friends in for dinner tonight and watching episode 2, season 2 of 'The Walking Dead'. I am hoping that I can watch it without a blanket covering my eyes.
- thinking of the chili that I will make for dinner. I am going to switch it up just a tad
- about to tell you about my soup

Yesterday after a workout, and driving over the Malahat in foggy and wet, wet rain, I was feeling like some good soup for dinner. I wanted Chicken Noodle - my favourite - so decided to mix it up a bit.

IMG_1553

Thai Chicken Noodle soup - Sims Style

8 chicken legs* - skinless
2 limes
1 medium onion - chopped
2 medium yams - peeled and chopped into small cubes - about 3 cups
3 tbsp of red thai curry paste
5 cups of chicken stock
2 cans of coconut milk
1 red pepper- thinly chopped into strips
1 1/2 cups of corn
1/2 pack of rice noodles**
Cilantro

*I used skinless chicken legs b/c they were on sale at Thrifty's this week and I quite like them. I think that boneless skinless chicken breasts would also be really great too.

I also used chicken stock, but you could easily make this soup vegetarian/vegan, without adding chicken and using a good vegetable stock.

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Line a baking dish with aluminum foil and place the skinless chicken legs. Drizzle juice of half of the lime over top and season with kosher salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes.

In a large pot, saute the onion in a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt, for about 10 minutes. Add in the yams. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes. Add in 1 cup of the stock (I use chicken - use what you like) to be able to soak up all the bits on the bottom of the pot. Add in the thai red curry paste. If you want more spice, add more of this. Mix it all together and let it simmer. Add in the coconut milk and the remaining stock, the corn and the peppers. Let simmer on low.

IMG_1548
I love this stuff - it's full of flavour and super convenient to have on hand.

**Rice noodles. I used half a box. I put them in a bowl and covered them with hot water and let them sit for 30 minutes. When they were soft - I drained them and cut them into half or in threes - they weren't all the same length. This was a lot of noodles - so you could probably split the box into 3 - and just use a 1/3.

When the chicken is done - remove from the oven and coarsely remove the chicken from the bones. Chop the chicken and add it to the soup. Add in the noodles and let simmer until the noodles are at a soft consistency.

Add in chopped cilantro and the juice of a lime.

IMG_1549
Serve hot.

We really liked the flavours of this - and it was a nice treat to try something different. This made A LOT of soup. When we were done - I added a bit more stock just to soup it up a bit. Yum leftovers!

Alrighty - off to walk the pooper scoopers.

Have a great Sunday!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: