Monday, October 10, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner - I mean Thanksgiving Dessert

IMG_1437

Happy Thanksgiving.

I love this time of year. I love Fall, and I always think that Thanksgiving weekend is the kick off to a wonderful new season.

We had a great weekend! So fantastic - I wish that it was just starting now. My cousin and her family came down for the weekend. She did the 1/2 marathon at the Royal Victoria Marathon. 1/2 MARATHON!!!! She did amazing - so proud of her. We had a really lovely weekend with all of them. We love visitors (preferably people we know ;)) stay with us - we like to offer them Suite B - and tell them to just make themselves at home.

They brought the turkey from Merville - a free range, organic, happy bird that lived a great life. And it was delicious. I think that I will be trying to convince them to bring me one every holiday.

We did dinner last night. Friends and family - we really are thankful and blessed to have a wonderful group to be surrounded with.

On the menu:

Turkey
Stuffing - sausage, celery and onion with fresh sage
Mashed turnips with red pepper flakes
Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon
Cranberry sauce
Mashed potatoes
Corn
Roasted acorn squash with brown sugar and pecans
Pumpkin pie
Rustic Apple pie
Pumpkin pie milkshakes

I'm usually all about the cooking - and I do love it - but for some reason at Thanksgiving I love the baking too. My baking is basic - easy - just the way I like it. These recipes can be made whenever, but they were a great end to our turkey dinner.

IMG_1424

Rustic Apple Pie

6 apples - peeled and cut into very thin slices (I used gala apples - and they were just perfect)
2 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of brown sugar
1 -1.5 cups of pecans - I chopped about 1 cup into medium sized pieces and then left the rest whole
2 puff pastry
1 egg
(this is enough for 2 pies)

In a pan melt the butter, add the apples and sprinkle with the brown sugar. Saute over medium heat for about 20 minutes. When the apples are starting to soften - add the pecans. Saute for about another 5 minutes.

IMG_1422


Remove from the pan and let cool.

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

When the apples are cool - roll out the puff pastry - into a 9-10 inch circle. It doesn't have to perfect at all - mine look like a square with rounded edges. Place half of the apple mixture into the center of each pastry. Pull the sides in towards the center - overlapping each piece slightly - but leaving about 4 inches open in the middle.

Place the pies on a piece of parchment paper on a baking dish. Add 2 tbsp of water to the egg and beat to make an egg wash. Brush the top of the pastry lightly with this.

Bake in the 350 oven for 30 minutes.

Let cool slightly and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or iced cream.

IMG_1442


The thing that I liked about this - is that you can make them ahead of time and then warm slightly just before serving.

And now for the special treat. I found this recipe on a blog that I like to peek at from time to time - How Sweet it Is. She made these - and I knew that I had to give them a try. I altered it slightly - and oh my - I am thankful for these!!!

Pumpkin Pie Milkshakes

2 cups of vanilla ice cream
3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup of milk
1/3 cup of cream
1/4 tsp of nutmeg
1/2 tsp of cinammon
1/2 tsp of ginger
Whipped cream for garnish

In your blender, add all of the ingredients - blend - pour into a glass- garnish with whipped cream and ENJOY!

IMG_1440


So for today, this Thanksgiving 2011 I am thankful for:
My husband
My pups
My family
My friends
The incredible turkey - and the soup that I am making with it
My trainer - el Diablo (technically not my trainer anymore - but I am so thankful for her)
My health
Memories
Pictures
And oh so much more.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: