Thursday, November 3, 2011

Donuts - Sims Style

IMG_1599

I'm not much of a baker. I 'try'. I try to use alternatives to make the recipe a little healthier - i.e., whole wheat flour, apple sauce, yogurt... Sometimes this works, and sometimes it does not. I am not really 'there' yet - being able to figure out what measurements to use and where you can or can't or should or shouldn't switch up some of the ingredients. So, I'll just keep trying. I kind of get a bit obsessed with trying to perfect the recipe. The problem is - well there are a couple - 1. The baking has to get eaten - and I don't need it - and I don't always think that the neighbours or friends will appreciate baking. 2. I don't always have ingredients on hand to do the recipe over and over. 3. Who has the time? And 4. I'm not a baker.

I really love the Zucchini loaf recipe that I used for the shredded zucchini. I found the bread to be so moist, so flavourful and not so sweet. It worked well for the Pumpkin loaf too. Both full of flavour. So I decided to try it with carrots. I think that it turned out pretty good, however, I will try it again and add a bit more liquid as it was a tad dry.

IMG_1593

Carrot Loaf and Donuts with Cream Cheese Glaze

2 eggs
1/4 cup cane sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups of shredded carrots - about 4 carrots
1 can of pineapple - drained (save the juice)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
3 cups of flour (whole wheat or all purpose)
1 cup of chopped walnuts

Cream Cheese Glaze
4 ounces of cream cheese (1/2 a pack) softened
2 tbsp of cane sugar or powdered sugar
3 tbsp of milk

IMG_1585

I used a loaf pan and a mini donut pan. You can find them HERE. They are a lot of fun - I have used it a couple of time - and love what they turn out like. the donuts turn out to be a bit rustic - not Tim's style - more like Sims style.

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

In a food processor, blend all of the pineapple so that it becomes a pulp with some small pieces - not to a puree though.

Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together. Add in the pineapple and carrots and mix together. Add in the oil and stir it all in. Sprinkle in the baking soda and salt and then stir in the flour and finish it by adding in the walnuts.

Fill a loaf pan (butter and flour if it's non-stick) about 2/3 full. If you have the donut pan, add the remaining batter to the donut pan. If you don't have more than one pan, then you can fill up the pan - and just alter the baking time.

Bake the donuts for 20 minutes and the loaf pan 2/3 full for 40-45 minutes. If you fill the pan full, bake for 55 minutes.

IMG_1591

For the glaze, using a hand mixer, mix all of the ingredients together. When the carrot loaf is out of the oven and has cooled slightly, cover the loaf with the glaze. And dip the donuts into the glaze.

Ok, off to watch the sunny day - maybe work up the energy to enjoy it with the pups on a walk.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: