Monday, November 14, 2011

Must Love

IMG_1622

I am. Not a 'Cobbler' that works on shoes. Although I do love shoes. I am talking about the fruity bottom, with a fluffy, doughy topping on top. I think that I am more crazy with the fruit. It's basically baked fruit - which I can't even explain how much I love - with a topping that is so deelish.

Now, I have to confess that for this new recipe that I whipped up, I did not use fresh peaches. I know! How dare I?? But it's November in Victoria, and fresh peaches are non-existent. If I had not loved peaches as much as I did this past summer and ate them every day, I may have been smart enough to have canned some. Maybe next summer. Anyways... I found canned peaches that are packed in water and don't have any sugar added. They're actually quite delicious, and they aren't sweet, and they worked really well in this dessert.

Before I share the recipe - I do want to share that I am parting ways with my Midnight Sun by Pfaltzgraff dishes that I have had since my first year on my own. They are beautiful, excellent quality dishes, and are almost brand new. I have posted them online if you are interested - let me know.

IMG_1635

Check them out on usedvictoria. My mom and dad were so generous to build up my collection over the years - but it's time for a change for me.

Alright - back to cobbler. The dish can be made with fresh fruit for sure, so if you have it - use it.

IMG_1624

Must Love Fruit Cobbler

2 cans of canned peaches - no sugar added - packed in water (is what I like to use) - if using canned - drain the juice and don't add to the mixed fruit
2 cups of blueberries - I have used my frozen organic
1/4 cup cane sugar

For the topping:
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp of cold butter
1/2 cup cane sugar
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup cream

Pre-heat oven to 375.

In a baking dish - place the fruit and toss in the sugar. Stir to coat the fruit.

In a large bowl, add in the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and stir together. With your fingertips add in the butter and crumble it in so that they are pea sized pieces. In a small bowl beat the egg and add in the cream, and then add this to the dry/butter mix. Stir together. The dough will go a bit thick. Spoon out large spoonfuls on top of the fruit. You should be able to have 6-7 spoonfuls.

Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown. The crust on the crumble will be crispy and the inside will be soft and moist.

Yumma!

Serve with a dollop of ice cream or a vanilla whipped yogurt or nothing at all.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: