Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Rainy, rainy night

I'm not sure if you can hear that... can you? If you can, then you know that I am talking about the sound of the rain. It sort of sounds like a terential downpour, mixed with a someone standing outside my front door with a fire hose, mixed with the shower going full blast at the same time. Crazy. It's winter in Victoria. I am not going to complain about it though, for a couple of different reasons: 1. I am sitting in my warm house. 2. We have had a lot amazing cool, crisp, dry weather. 3. My dogs aren't loving the rain either, so I don't feel badly that they had a very short walk today.

I am taking a bit of R&R right now - hanging around home trying to recoop from a year of some sort of whacky health issues. I think that I am on the mend - I'm not 100% but hoping that I get there soon.

_KKP8203

What else has happened in this past year, is that almost one year ago, I got married! A year of married life has been so wonderful - more than I ever thought it would be - and I can't wait for this weekend to spend some time with my husband and celebrate.

So, since I have been home during the days, I really thought that I would spend a lot of time cooking up a storm. It's weird. It's almost the exact opposite. I am not really sure why. I still love to cook - but during the week, I just don't have much of an appetite to cook different things. A couple of times I have dug the Campbell's soup out of the pantry to hook up dinner. It's funny b/c Chris loves anything with Cream of Mushroom soup - I could make a 12 course dinner with the best ingredients - and something with Cream of Mushroom soup - and he may pick that as his favourite.

What I did make though, was a hearty dish of Butternut Squash Gratin. it's hearty, easy, delicious and warms the soul.

IMG_1406

Butternut Squash Gratin

1 butternut squash - about 2 lbs
1 tbsp of butter
1 medium sized onion - cut into thin slices
2 tbsp of flour
Kosher salt and pepper
1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups of cheddar - shredded

Pre=heat the oven to 350.

Peel the butternut squash and cut it in half lengthwise. Discard the seeds. Cut thin slices crosswise and place into a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Then reduce to medium heat and simmer for about 10 minutes - or until soft with a fork.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet and add onions. Saute onions for about 5 minutes or until they are translucent. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the onions with the flour. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and stir to create a creamy consistency over low/medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in one cup of the cheese.

Drain the butternut squash.

In a 8 or 9 inch baking dish, place half of the butternut squash. Cover with half of the cream sauce. Repeat the layers and top with the remaining cheese.

Bake for 30-35 minutes.

IMG_1408

This goes lovely with pork, chicken or even with a beautiful fresh salad.

Alrighty friends - I am enjoying listening to the rain - and will look forward to it stopping soon.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: