Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sims Style Chocolate Donuts with Toasted Coconut

It seems when I set out to bake something - it never really turns out how I intended it to. At least with cooking - if it starts to go one way, you can add a little of this or a little of that and get it back on track. Baking, not so much.

My plan for dessert was to make chocolate cupcakes, with a chocolate icing and toasted coconut. This is what it my 'chocolate donuts with toasted coconut' turned out to be like.

IMG_1626

I picked up an organic chocolate cake mix at the Superstore on the weekend. I actually really like their products and I had tried this before when making cupcakes with my niece. They must use a dark chocolate within their mix b/c the cake isn't overly sweet at all, and the powder is quite dark.

So, I made up the mix, poured a bit of it into my donut pans and the rest in a cake pan. I put them in the oven and checked on them about 15 mins later - and they had ballooned up to look like muffins on the top. Ugh. So, I went to Plan B.

I wasn't sure what Plan B was, but I just went with it.

What I ended up doing was letting the "donutss" cool off and at the same time, I softened a block of light cream cheese. I then whipped up the cream cheese, crumbled in the cooled off donuts, and mixed it all together. Very similar to these. I put them in the fridge for about 30 minutes to let them cool off.

I then toasted unsweetened coconut in a pan on the stove on medium heat - stirring constantly. Once it starts to toast - it happens very quickly - and you need to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't burn.

I also melted chocolate in a double boiler (my version - a pot of boiling water and a stainless steel bowl) with a tsp of butter and splash of cream.

IMG_1628

I then dipped the 'donut' into the melted chocolate and then into the toasted coconut. Placed them on a parchment lined pan and put them back into the fridge.

Served with ice cream - these were a huge hit. They were super moist and not sweet - but a little salty from the toasted coconut. Yumma.

IMG_1625

So, I guess the moral of the story is - you can fix anything - sometimes you just need to be creative.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: