Sunday, January 22, 2012

Crazy for Citrus. Crazy!

IMG_1917


I am hooked on citrus right now. Hooked. HOOKED. I always love it - but for some reason the mandarins over the Christmas season took over my palette and it hasn't passed. Currently our bowls are full of clementines. They are delicious. They are sweet, and a little tart at the same time. The juice alone is divine, but their zest is also so great too. For breakfast I often will squeeze the juice of one of the clementines into my plain yogurt, or vanilla yogurt, and oh my - deelish.

IMG_1919

Key limes - are also a sweet and sour little treat. Their zest and flesh are full of flavour. I have a delicious key lime pie recipe that I made for Chris' birthday a couple of years ago - and I may just give it another try.

IMG_1934

Blood oranges - oh hello = wondrous crimson glory of nature. How can fruit be that colour? Seriously??? I just love them.

IMG_1918

Mandarinquats - what-the-what? Mandarin crossed with kumquat. Super tart - super flavourful.

IMG_1921

Sweet Clementines - oh my these gems are full of sweet, sweet flavour. I love them.

IMG_1922

I think that I have raved about zest before. I just love it. I love adding it to so many dishes. I love to add it to strained plain yogurt, salad dressings, marinades, muffins, pancakes, everything. Well, maybe not everything like I probably wouldn't add it to... seriously - I was trying to think of something and I can't. I would add it to my seeping tea, stuffing, chili....

I zested a lemon, key limes and an orange and then put it in a ziploc bag in the freezer - and it was perfect later on. I love the idea of using the entire fruit. I have frozen lemons so that we can have lemons all winter, the zest to add to so much, and the leftovers are great in our garb-orator.

IMG_1928

Anyways - I also love the juice of citrus as well - and add that to so many recipes as well. When I typically use the juice, I usually end up throwing the peels own the garb. So, I decided to try zesting some citrus and freeze it. And guess what? It worked!!!

Ok - I'm not going to lie, 2 clementines, 2 key limes and a lemon produce about 2/3 cup of juice and about 3 tbsp of zest, but I really think that it's worth it.

I used some of the zest to flavour strained plain yogurt, sweetened with a bit of vanilla served over berried (thawed) for dessert. And the juice, a refreshing drink. A glass filled with ice, 1/3 cup of the citrus juice, a tbsp of simple syrup and then top it off with carbonated water. Add a lime wedge, give it a stir, and you have a delicious, refreshing drink.

IMG_1929

I have decided that I should probably try and live on some sort of a 'grove'. Is that the right word? Orange grove, lemon grove, lime grove...

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: