Sunday, January 22, 2012

Leftovers

Oh Sunday mornings. I just love them. I especially love it when the weather isn't ideal - like today for example - we're having a wind storm. For some reason, when the weather is miserable, I don't feel guilty about staying in my pj's, puttering, watching silly tv, laundry and not taking 'hootch and scootch' for a walk right away (thank goodness for our fenced backyard).

So, I just plan on having a lay-low Sunday - maybe go later to shop for some runners, maybe pick up some potatoes to try and make Hasselback potatoes for dinner and maybe some ingredients for a meatloaf. Not sure why - but I have a bit of a craving.

I have been trying to make a big dinner on Sunday nights so that there are leftovers for Monday night's dinner. I love leftovers, and so does C. Thankfully - because they are a lifesaver. I have been doing this so that I have time to go to the gym after work on Monday nights and not feel the need to rush home for a dog walk and make dinner. It's been working well so far - and I love having time to make dinner on a Sunday afternoon - not being rushed.

Last Sunday I made a pork loin, grits with blue cheese and roasted peppers. The grits turned out really well - and I think may have tasted better the next day.

The pork loin had the bones in - and it was the first time that I had made this cut of meat. It was delicious and super easy.

IMG_1889

Roasted Pork Loin with Mustard Glaze

Pork loin - bone in
1/2 cup of dijon mustard
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp honey

Pre-heat the oven to 375.

In a skillet, drizzle a tbsp of pepper and heat the pan to medium to high heat. Season all sides of the pork loin with kosher salt and pepper. Place the pork in the pan and brown all sides - about 2 -3 minutes per side. Place the pork loin into a roasting dish.

In a small bowl, mix all of the remaining ingredients and cover the top side of the pork loin.

Cover the roasting dish with aluminum foil and roast for about an hour and 3/4. If you have a meat thermometer, check it at this time, check for 170.

IMG_1885

Remove it from the oven and let sit for at least 5 minutes before slicing.

IMG_1892

I sliced the chop and placed it on top of the grits, sided it with roasted peppers that were drizzled in balsamic vinegar, and then topped with gala apples that were simmered in a bit of water and maple syrup.

Alright - some food for thought - think about leftovers to make your life just a bit easier.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: