Sunday, January 15, 2012

Oh Neighbour!

I did the following on this beautiful Sunday:

1. I woke up to a blanket of beautiful white snow. It was the first snowfall of the year in Victoria.
2. I got homesick for my hometown because of all the gorgeous snow. It reminded me of a glorious childhood playing in the snow for hours.
3. I made the most delicious mango smoothy with my new KitchenAid blender that Santa brought me for Christmas. It was the first time that I have used it. I just used frozen mango, vanilla yogurt and the juice of clementine orange.
4. I hung 3 framed pictures of the farm that Chris' dad grew up on Ivy, Ont. I gave him the pictures 3 years ago for Christmas. We've been busy, I guess.
5. I took my dogs for a long walk in the beautiful winter's day.
6. My neighbour across the street said to me 'How do you like me now, neighbour?' This is explained more in detail below, because it is GOOD.
7. I made hot chocolate for Chris and I and we watched a little football.
8. I made grits with blue cheese, a pork loin rack with a mustard, honey, apple cider glaze, sauteed apples and sauteed peppers with a bit of balsamic.
9. I have a mango/blueberry (low fat, low sugar) cobbler in the oven.
10. I am about to sit down and watch the season finale of 'Hell on Wheels'.

I want to share #6.

I had just stepped out the front door. I was trying to organize my gloves, the dog's leashes and lock the front door. Across the street, at the duplex, in front of the house (on the street) is a Ford Ranger parked. Music starts blasting. Hardcore rap - the kind that you don't want your mom, dad, grandma, child, niece... to hear. Even Jozie was shocked - probably not because of the 'lyrics' but because it was really loud. I walk down the steps - ready to start the walk, and the truck pulls off to drive away to the end of our street's cul-de-sac. As we leave the end of the driveway, the Ranger drives past. I glance up and can see the passenger's window is down about 2 inches and as the truck drives by, I hear:

"How do you like me now, neighbour?'

I smile. And then I have a little chuckle. And then I smile again and think:

1. I didn't even know that you are my neighbour.
2. Uh, have you heard my husband's car stereo listening habits? (He'll be deaf in no time)
3. Wow, you are wild and crazy! Did your friend let you touch the volume control for the first time?
4. And, for the entire walk I had 'How do you like me now?' by Billy Ray Cyrus in my head. Which I am pretty sure is not the effect that he was going for.


IMG_1883

Grits with Blue Cheese

1 cup of grits - aka - polenta or cornmeal
4 cups of liquid - I used 2 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of water
Pinch of kosher salt
1 tsp of italian seasoning
1 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of blue cheese

In a large saucepan, pour in the grits, and slowly pour in the liquid, whisking the entire time the liquid is being added to the grits.

Turn the heat on to medium and start stirring with a wooden spoon. Add in the salt and italian seasoning. You have to stir quite frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom and from bubbling out of control. The grits will start to thicken and you can turn the heat down to medium-low. Continue to stir for another 10 minutes or so.

When it is at a thick consistency, you can turn off the heat, add in the butter and blue cheese and stir it in until it is all melted.

It's a delicious side dish - a bit time consuming - but nothing hard.

If you didn't want to add the cheese, you could add roasted garlic - and they would almost taste similar to roasted garlic mash potatoes. We'll try that next.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Bethers said...

1) haaaaaa your neighbour sounds like a jackass. I think you should do a tinfoil grill for next time you run into him.

2) is that the blue cheese from me? I may have to try this - I've never done plenta or cornmeal this way but it sounds delish.

C. Mitchell said...

Yes!!! I forgot to mention that - I meant to. If you want - I have a ton of the grits - just let me know and I will bring you a cup. It was delicious blue cheese!!