Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Breakfast for dinner

IMG_2028



The other day at work, I was talking to some friends about having breakfast for dinner. They both love it. They aren't alone. I know a lot of people that love breakfast for dinner. I am not one of them. For some reason, it's just not my favourite. I really have no reason why. No clue.

I do like breakfast - but if I had to go out for a meal, that would probably be my 4th choice. Yes, 4th! First would be dinner. Second, lunch. Third, dessert. And then dinner. Is dessert a meal you ask? Yes.

I remember when we were kids, my mom would make breakfast for dinner every once and awhile. Mostly it was pancakes. Sometimes french toast. And some times corn fritters. I never liked it. I feel bad now, because I know that I gave her a bad time for it. How rude of me. No doubt she wanted a night of pancakes - 3 kids, 7 nights a week... you get the drift.

Anyways, I was thinking of breakfast for dinner, because I have before sort of made breakfast for dinner - Baked Eggs. I love this dish - it's easy, super tasty, and what I like to call a 'One Pot Wonder'. So I gave Chris the option of a Subway sandwich or baked eggs for dinner last night. He chose baked eggs. I guess he didn't take the hint of not wanting to cook. I wanted to try baked eggs with egg whites that I had in the fridge. I decided to create a breakfast sandwich - Sims Style.

IMG_2022

Guess what this is?

Guess!!!

Did you say pesto?

Did you say Kale pesto?

If you did then you are right! Kale Pesto!!! Who knew? I am a big fan of this - and can't wait to try it in different recipes.

Kale Pesto

1 bunch of fresh kale - chopped
1 large clove of garlic
1 tbsp of olive oil
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
6-8 large walnut pieces

Steam the kale until it is soft - about 8 minutes. Set aside and let it cool. I actually did my kale 3 days before I made the pesto. I kept it in an air tight container in the fridge - and it was perfect.
Squeeze all of the water out of the kale and add it to the food processor. Chop it until the pieces are completely ground. Add the walnuts, the garlic, olive oil and puree. Then add in the cheese. If it seems a bit dry, you can add a bit more olive oil or even a bit of lemon juice.

Baked egg whites, kale pesto and a whole wheat biscuit

Whole wheat biscuit - check for the recipe HERE - I used all whole wheat flour, added 1/2 cup of freshly grated parmesan and did not include any sugar

1 bell pepper - chopped into very small pieces
8 mushrooms - thinly sliced
1/2 tsp of chili flakes
4 pieces of bacon - baked in the oven at 425 for about 10 minutes
1 cup of egg whites - from the carton (Costco has them so cheap)

IMG_2027

Pre-heat the oven to 375.
*This recipe will make enough for 6 large muffin cups

In a skillet and a small drop of olive oil, saute the peppers and mushrooms. Add in the chili flakes and saute for about 7-8 minutes.

IMG_2026

Using muffin tins, spray with cooking spray. Add in the peppers and mushrooms, evenly into the bottom of each muffin cup. Add in the chopped bacon. Then cover the veggies and bacon with the egg whites. Fill each tin about 2/3 of the way up.

Place in the oven and bake for 18 minutes.

IMG_2023

Cut each bun in half and top with the Kale Pesto. Remove the eggs from the tins and place one egg on each bun.

IMG_2030

And that's it. Not only is this a satisfying dinner any night of the week, it would also be a delicious breakfast or brunch.

Alrighty friendy froos. Happy eating.

Loves.

Enjoy!!


1 comment:

Tina said...

Breakfast for dinner is absolutely delicious!! Each and every time…breaky anytime of day is delish! Yummy with a capital Y…and a very easy comfort food. Yours definitely look prettier than mine though. I’ll have to give this one a try and I bet Owen will love it too. Thanks for sharing!!