Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cranberries 101

DSCN5422_2


When I went to university, the classes were all like 'Sociology 101' and 'Sociology of the Family 302' and 'TV and Popular Media 115'. I think that if there were cooking classes they should be the same, and I would like to teach a class about Cranberries. There are a few things that may be difficult about me teaching this, though:

- I don't really know much about cranberries
- They really remind me of the holidays - Thanksgiving and Christmas - so I would probably get really distracted by this - and I would go on a rampage about what I would want for Christmas that year, or how much I love pumpkin pie, or how much I like the snow. See!! I am already off topic.
- I would get upset if people talked during the class and I'd say things like 'If you don't stop talking you'll have to stay behind at the end of the day and do lines' and then they would probably say things like 'Bite me'.

Well obviously I am not cut out to be a teacher. Damn. I feel like I really gave it a good try. I am still going to chat about Cranberries.

Remember how I am hooked on citrus? Oh - if you didn't know - you can check it out HERE. I am loving the freshness of them and adding the fresh juice to carbonated water. It's like a special treat. So, I decided to try to do the same sort of thing with a bag of frozen cranberries I had. Fresh would be just as good, but it's not really the season.

I love it when I can make something and waste nothing - that is sort of what I did with these cranberries.

IMG_1957

Cranberry Soda

1 bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup of water
Agave syrup or simple syrup
Carbonated water

Add the cranberries to a pot with the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.

IMG_1943

With a mesh strainer, strain the juice into a bowl. You should be able to get about 1 1/2 cups of cranberry juice. You can store the juice into a mason jar, and you can set the cranberries aside, and put them into a jar as well. Store them and be ready for Cranberries 102.

In a large glass, add a 1/4 cup of the cranberry syrup. Then add 1 tbsp of agave syrup and mix well. Fill the glass with lots of ice and then top it all off with some carbonated water. If you like it a bit sweeter, you can more agave or even use gingerale instead of the carbonated water. My next attempt at this, I will be simmering the cranberries with some shredded ginger. So it will be just like cranberry gingerale. Holla!!!

It is tart, refreshing and a nice and different treat. I think that adding gin or vodka would make it a great libation.

IMG_1953


Follow Me on Pinterest

Alright - stay tuned for Cranberries 102.

Loves.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"and they would say things like bite me"... That's funny Cherl :)...This drink looks fantastic an now i am wanting a fancy cocktail...Hummm...

PS
And just so everyone knows~ C.Mitchell has been using those lovely mason jars for many years..I always loved that <3

C. Mitchell said...

Thanks for the comment - You need to tell me who you are??? C.