Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mama-mia

Yesterday I got my butt kicked. When I say 'I got my butt kicked' I don't mean that someone actually came and kicked by butt. If someone did do that - I would be so mad. Saying that it reminds me of the time that I was standing at the top of our stairs in our entrance way when I was a kid - and my brother was coming up the stairs and trying to grab my ankles to pull me down the stairs. We were fighting about something. Probably something like me saying I was going to tell his friends that I saw him looking in the lingerie section of the Sears catalog. Or maybe that I came into his room without asking. Or perhaps that I wouldn't be his goalie in a game of street hockey.
Ok - so he was coming up the stairs and trying to pull my ankles - and I wound up and kicked him in his private parts.
I had a pretty good kick b/c of my figure skating.
My brother buckled down in pain - screamed - probably threatened to hurt me - I ran, fast, and hid in my room. My mom came in and had to tell me that I can never kick a boy in that 'area'. She didn't get into details of why I shouldn't - but I never kicked a boy there again. I know - such a good girl.
Anyways - so that little story reminded me of me getting my butt kicked yesterday. I made the trek to workout with Tanya - aka El Diablo. I call her that in a loving way. I heart her so much. She is not only so positive, fun and encouraging - but she makes me workout - push myself.

It's been far too long since I have had a good workout. I thought that I had a stomach ache later in the day - and then I remembered that I used ab muscles that I haven't used in months and months.

Today I am a little sore. I feel muscles that I know won't be sore in a couple of weeks. I know that I need to get my cardio up - and start a weekly workout regime. I know that I will start running again and I will love it all.

I have to remember how much I love the feeling after a good workout - and how much I love to be lighter, healthier and have more energy.

Alright enough about kicking and my brother crying. I wonder if he'll read this. I wonder if he will more upset that I said that he was looking at the lingerie section of the Sears catalog or that I refused to play goalie that day.

Friday night I whipped up a batch of raviolis with wonton wrappers.

Sorry, I lied. I didn't 'whip' up a batch. I did make a batch, however, 'whipping' them up is an exaggeration - they took quite some time.

If you want to try this recipe - before you read on - be prepared that they will take you some time. They are very worth it though.


IMG_2013

Raviolis

1 pd of lean ground turkey
3 cups of sliced mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup Goat cheese (optional)*
1 tbsp oregano
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese (optional)*
1 pkg of wonton wrappers

*I made two different fillings - both with ground turkey and mushrooms - but for half I used goat cheese and oregano, and for the other I added parmesan cheese with red pepper flakes. You could add all of the ingredients together - and it too would be delicious.

Tip: Before you get started - have everything organized b/c it will all happen so fast - so it's good to have it all prepped and ready to go.

Pre-heat oven to 350.

In a large skillet add a drop of olive oil and add the ground turkey. Add a pinch of kosher salt and pepper and let saute for about 6 minutes. Add in the thinly sliced mushrooms and the garlic. Continue to cook so that the meat is cooked through and the mushrooms are nice and tender. Remove the meat from the pan and into a bowl. You can choose what you want to use for the filling - all of it or just the goat cheese, etc. Mix all the cheese in, so that it all nice and mixed together.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper - you will use this to place the raviolis on while you are making them all.

Fill a cup, measuring cup or whatever works, and have a pastry brush on hand.

Place one wonton wrapper on cutting board - or flat surface - and with a brush gently brush the edges of the wonton wrapper with water. Then add 1 tbsp of the ravioli filling. Bring one corner to the corner across (making a triangle) and use your fingers to pinch the edges together. You can also use two wrappers per ravioli - and put one on top of the other.

You should have enough filling to do about 30 (or more) raviolis. Once you have finished the wontons, bring a pot of water to boil. Boil about 5-6 at a time. Boil for about 3 minutes. Remove from the pot - and place them on a lined baking sheet - and heat until all of the raviolis have boiled in the water.

Remove from the oven and top with tomato sauce and freshly grated parmesan.

IMG_2015

I really liked these - and will make them again - but Chris really loved them. They were a lot of work - but they were a nice treat.

Enjoy your Sunday night - the week is just about to start again.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: