Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Time to put on my stepping shoes

One step forward and two steps back.
That's sort of how I'm feeling these days. I was doing so well with working out and taking care of myself - eating well, exercising and just all around trying to be healthy. Then I got sick, and exhausted, and just started to go downhill. I had to take a bit of time off work and just tried to get well. In the process, I didn't workout and just got away from focusing on myself and taking care.

Alas - one step forward, two steps back.

Now although this is bad news, I have a bit of faith and think that I can get back to where I was. The weird thing is, is that when I was working out, feeling great, I actually wasn't so well. And now I feel that I am on the mend - so I feel that if I could really workout and be active when I wasn't feeling all that great, that now that I am feeling better, I think that getting back to where I was shouldn't be so hard.

Wishful thinking probably. But it's good to be positive.

As of today I am trying a new way of eating. I will share more as I get a grasp of what I'm doing. It's not a diet, and it's not counting calories (I struggle with those things way too much) - it's basically just a healthy way of eating. There is one day a week that I can enjoy whatever I like - so I will be trying new recipes on that day.

I tried something new this weekend. I watched a show where they made these - so I had to give it a try. I didn't have a recipe so I had to wing it. They were a huge hit - and I will definitely make them again.

IMG_1963

Beet Burgers Sims Style

(Yes, I said 'Beet Burgers'! I know, right. Odd? Yes. Delicious? Yes.)

4 good sized beets
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp spanish paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp chili pepper flakes
1 bulb of garlic - whole
Juice of one lemon or orange
1/2 cup white wine
10 cups of water

Mini burger buns
Goat cheese
Watercress

Lots of ingredients, I know, but so worth it.

In a large pot add all of the dry spices. Then add the water, wine, garlic, juice of lemon or orange - and then throw the peels in too. Then submerge the beets in the broth. Simmer over medium to low heat for about 45 minutes, or until the beets are able to be poked easily with a knife.

Remove the beets from the pot and let them cool. Once they are cooled, using a sharp paring knife, peel the skins off of the beets - it should come off so easily.

Slice the beets into about 1/2 inch slices.

IMG_1960

In a skillet on the grill, lightly spray with oil, and and lightly brown on one side. Flip the burger and then place a thin strip of goat cheese to lightly melt, while the other side browns. Place the beet on the bun and top with a small bunch of watercress.

I didn't add any sauce, I think the creaminess of the goat cheese is enough. These were fun, healthy and delicious.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tracy Risinger said...

I'm so glad these were delicious!!! I LOVE beets and would never have thought of them as a burger!

and yes my friend, you WILL get back to where you were, you're already on your way!
easy peasy lemon peasy :)