Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chocolate and Bailey's - the perfect pair

IMG_2042

Tulips from Tracy - 2 weeks and they are still lovely

Well, I have survived another week. I didn't think that I wouldn't - but it has been a week that I like to call 'challenging'. There has been a little of 'this' and a little of 'that' and I will be happy when 'this' and 'that' have passed - people are well and taken care of and I am 100%. I don't think that is too much to ask for. Is it? Is it too much to ask for health and happiness for yourself and your friends and loved ones? Well I hope not - because I have been asking for it. A lot. I haven't been really asking anyone in particular. I may ask you - so I am just warning you.

I was in Summerland last weekend with my mom - visiting my brother and his family. It was so much fun. We mostly went to see my niece's skating concert. She did so great. It was a great visit - and every time I am there, I wish that we lived closer.

Chris and I bought new runners today. Monday is my day to start my 'running' career again and get this butt into shape. I have done this before - so I will do it again. I will try hard and just try and push myself - in a way that I don't enjoy being pushed.

I am excited to share this recipe. It's not mine - I found it in this month's Food Network magazine. I saw it, and new that I had to give it a try. I altered it a bit - trying to make it not rich. They turned out really well - and tasted like fudgsicles. Yumma.

IMG_2038

Chocolate Ice Cubes

3/4 cups of skim milk
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips - or chocolate wafers

In a saucepan, add the milk, water, cocoa powder and sugar and simmer over medium heat - whisking continuously to dissolve the powder and make it all nice and smooth. Heat for about 3-4 minutes - making sure not to burn the milk.

Remove from heat and whisk in the chocolate, until it is fully melted. Let sit until it cools. Fill an ice cube tray and set it in the freezer. Takes a couple of hours for them to freeze fully.

IMG_2040

Now for the fun part.

I served these in a glass with Bailey's, and Bailey's and milk. My gf's - Beth and Steph - came over to watch Top Chef Texas - drink Bailey's with chocolate ice cubes - and it was a perfect ending to a long day.

Bailey's and chocolate - this could be the perfect ending to a long week, year, month...

Loves.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Dennis said...

Thanks for posting this...I think I will try to make them tomorrow. We could start a run group at work for lunch if you want.

Beth said...

those were the shiz. I loved them.

Steph said...

Nice work with the D Dutchmen Dairy milk bottle. Reminds me of home.