Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Treadmill terror

I have been trying to run at the gym on the treadmill. 'Trying' is really the best way to describe it. I am focusing on a bit of interval training - run 5 mins, walk 1 min - some days are not bad. Other days, it's like I have no energy, no spunk, no oomph, no gas in my tank, no spring in my step... You see where I'm going with this. On days that I feel that my feet are made of cement and I have the same energy as a bag of marshmallows - the clock on that damn treadmill makes me want to cry. Sorry treadmill - it's not your fault.

I just get obsessed with watching the clock. I start out strong - 30 seconds goes by so nicely. Then I hit the minute mark and I start to know that I only have 4 minutes left. Then I start to wonder how 2 minutes and 30 seconds can feel like an hour. Then I start to panic and have to use my left hand to force my right hand from hitting the reduce speed button. As I am doing that I start to breathe like it sounds like I am having a bit of a panic attack or drowning - I can't really tell which one it sounds more like. Then the neighbours beside me on their machines - stare, get scared, and take a fake phone call from someone pretending that they have to leave in a hurry so that they can get away.

Then the clock hits 5 minutes - I push the reduce speed button so fast and I start walking. Walking. Just walking. And I catch my breath - and then the minute is over. What the heck? How come that minute goes by so fast? And then it starts all over. Oh god. It's unattractive.
Enough about that. I'm depressed.

I made these a couple of weeks ago. I loved how they turned out. I plan on serving these in the summer for a nice barbeque out in the backyard. I have to remember to do this. Oh - can you remind me? Thanks.

For this recipe - I don't really have measurements - so just add how much of the goodies that you like.

IMG_2085

Spicy Turkey and Quinoa Layered Salad - Sims Style

1 pound of extra lean ground turkey
1 tbsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of chili powder

Cooked Quinoa
Grape tomatoes
Corn
Avocado

IMG_2082

Dressing
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1 cup of freshly chopped cilantro
2 tbsp of skim milk
1/2 small jalepeno pepper - finely chopped
Pinch of kosher salt
*Mix all ingredients together.

Saute the ground turkey in a skillet. Add the garlic powder and chili powder seasonings. Saute until the turkey is fully cooked.
IMG_2088

You can use individual bowls, or one large bowl and layer the ingredients. Start with the cooked quinoa, add the meat, the corn, the tomatoes and the avocado. Top with the cilantro dressing.

IMG_2089

That's it. Deelish.


Alright - stay tuned for a sweet treat - gluten, sugar free. Yumma in my tumma.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: