Monday, April 2, 2012

Hedley.

I have been so excited to share my drive home story today. So good.

I had an appt after work - so my regular commute home - was different. I was coming through 'town'. I love that saying. 'Town' as in the main drag - through the main street - through city center. Town. That's something my grandma used to always say. That really just made me think of her.

Ok - so I was driving down the main drag, Douglas St., and I had 'One Life' by Hedley cranked. I really like that song. So I was coming up to a busy intersection and I looked over and there was a guy walking on the sidewalk with a window washer squigee (sp?) in one hand and with the other hand he was doing like a gangster wrap sign over and over. He was checking out himself in the bank window and just rocking out. He didn't have headphones on - so the music was obvious on his. Ok - so that made me laugh a bit.

The next thing I know - he is right beside me on the driver's side. He must have flown across 3 lanes of traffic - and ended up beside me. He scared the bajeezus out of me. Then he started spraying water bottle water with soap on my windshield. I shook my head 'no' - but I guess he wanted to do his own thing. I had a bunch of change in my cup holder - b/c the parking arcade gave me $18 worth of change in coin. Fun. So I gave him $1. He said that it was the sweetest thing - and then left. He didn't finish cleaning the windows though! And he freaked me out.

I couldn't help but laugh. I am sure that most people would have honked, turned on their window wipers and said bad words - I decided not to.

Last week I mentioned making a sugar free, gluten free treat. Do you remember? Hm. Well I found a recipe on a blog that I like - LoveLife. It's not a food blog - but she posted a recipe that I had to try. I have altered it a bit - I have made it twice - the second time was better.

IMG_2102

Chocolate Gooey Puffed Rice Treats

1/4 cup of coconut oil*
2/3 cup of agave syrup
3 heaping tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
5 cups of organic puffed rice**

*Coconut oil - it's almost like butter. I am hooked on this stuff. It's good for you and can take the place of butter.
**Organic puffed rice - I found a bag of this at SaveOn - they are very similar to rice krispies

Using coconut oil - grease a 9x11 baking dish.

In a medium sized pan - heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Once it is melted, turn up the heat a bit and add in the agave syrup and cocoa powder. Bring the temp up slightly again and it will start bubbling madly. Keep stirring it - and let it boil for about 3-4 minutes. You want to keep stirring it - to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.

IMG_2104
Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla and give it a good stir. Then stir in the puffed rice - I like to add it in 3 batches - to make sure that it gets all coated evenly. Yumma.

Transfer the gooey goodness to the baking dish and refrigerate (for at least 30 minutes) before you dig in.

These are a nice treat.

IMG_2101

Tomorrow night I am off to Colour Your Palate. Thanks to Denise from The French Mint . I won tickets!! I am so excited. I can't wait. I am going with my friend, Judy, and we are going to pig out - in a ladylike sort of way. I can't wait to share it with you.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: