Monday, April 30, 2012

Shopping spree - chipotle love

It's so crazy how time flies when you're having fun. I have been up to no good over the last couple of weeks. No good! Well, not really. I have been good. Very good. And I have been doing fun things.

Two weekends ago I took the Harbour Air over to Vancouver for a day/night to spend it with my Auntie Babs. It was a weekend for anyone who loves to cook and eat. It was such a wonderful weekend. If you are planning a weekend in Vancouver any time soon and are looking for some great places to shop - pick up some great finds for the kitchen - check out our tour:

Quince - for a London Fog and a shared pastry
Barbara-Jo's Books to Cook - a store with only cookbooks. Hello Dream Come True. Auntie Babs bought me this one - Ripe. Stay tuned b/c I will be making some tasty recipes from this one.
Go Fish - for fish tacones - YUMMA. Just like Red Fish Blue Fish in Victoria.
Gourmet Warehouse - one of my all time faves in Vancouver. I stalked up on Kosher Salt, oils, and so much more.
Bosa Foods - incredible Italian grocery store. Also has been on an episode of the Real Housewives of Vancouver. What??? Someone told me! Oh alright - I watch it. I can't help it.
Granville Island - the best place. The best shopping - fresh fruits, spices, flowers, gifts, you name it!
Edible Canada - for the most amazing breakfast and Chai Latte.
Urban Fare - for a slice of pizza before heading home. The best grocery store.

It was such a wonderful weekend. My only regret is that I can't remember the name of the place that we went for dinner- I had a delicious salad. And, that I didn't bring a camera. We are going to make it an annual event. I think that everyone is going to want to join us.

Thanks Babs!!

Alright - and a quick and easy recipe. We went to a potluck on the weekend - I will share a story about that soon - and we brought Chipotle Wings - they were a hit. I had some leftover chipotles so whipped up (literally) a batch of chipotle mayo and yam fries. I know, I know - this isn't anything new - an old favourite - and tasty.

IMG_2207


Yam fries with Chipotle Mayo

Pre-heat oven to 450

2 medium sized yams - peeled and sliced into thin strips - just like fries
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
Kosher salt

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl add the yam fries, and drizzle with the vegetable oil and season with a couple of pinches of kosher salt.

Place the yam fries on the baking sheet and bake in the 450 oven for about 40 minutes. Half way through gently turn them over. Bake them until they are nice and crispy.

IMG_2205

IMG_2203


Chipotle Mayo
3-4 chipotle peppers (less if you don't want them too spicy)
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of ultra low fat mayo - or full fat - whatever you have on hand
Juice of half a lime

In a food processor, chop up the garlic cloves. Add in the chipotle peppers and chop them up so they make like a paste. Add in the mayo and the lime juice - and pulse again so that everything melds together.

Serve on the side of the yam fries. You can keep this in the fridge and add it to salmon melts the next night.

Ok friends - that's it for me tonight. I have to go and clean my kitchen - so that day 2 of a 7 day week of a spotless house happens.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: