Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Pioneer Woman addiction - and Guest Chef Margo

Oh, I'm excited about this. I haven't had a Guest Chef on my blog in quite some time. In fact, the last time was, April 4 - 2011, so over a year ago. It was Reido. (You can see my Guest Chef Series HERE). The fun thing about this Guest Chef addition, is that the Guest Chef is Reido's wife. She is Reido's wife - but more importantly (well for me anyways) she is my cuzzie. She was also one of my Bridesmaids in our wedding. She is also one of the nicest people that I have ever met.

_KKP8652

Meet Margo.

I like to call her 'Wa Jeannie'. She likes to call me 'Shirl' (both names are because of our Grandma). We travelled Europe together. We took our Grandma on a road trip to visit her cousin in Saskatchewan. I was in her wedding. She was there for me and my family when my dad passed. She used to pick me up for college in her Rabbit that I could hear coming 5 K away. She is a dog lover. She is an animal lover. She is a wonderful mother. She is a wonderful sister and daughter. She is a wonderful friend. And she is a lovely cousin. There is way too much more that I could talk about but I would probably have to create a new blog - and I don't have the time - and some of the stories that I would tell - oh, they would not be good to share.

slideshow_0023
We got kicked off the grass shortly after this pic was taken. It's illegal to be on the grass.

A couple of years ago, Margo sent me a link to a blog that I immediately fell in love with. I wasn't really sure about the whole 'blog' world (I'm still not) but I just loved reading it. That blog was The Pioneer Woman. I still love the blog so much. We love where she lives, how she cooks, her humour, that she knows and loves cowboys - and some day plan to visit her on her ranch. Don't worry PW - we won't show up uninvited - however, we do plan to do a road trip on motorcycles when we turn 65 - so we may show up there. I'm not really sure though - we haven't planned our route yet - so she still has a lot of time to plan for us. Actually - we don't really even have the bikes yet either, nor do we have a plan to really get them. And we both don't really know how to 'ride' a motorcycle. Although I have been on the back of a Harley (mom please don't read this part) one night after Hanky Panky's in Terrace to Kitimat. On the back of Doug Rice's Harley - sitting on the fender - 45 min ride, in the dead of night on a highway. Oh my. When we reached our destination, I sat with the helmet on for about 10 minutes. Oh my. So, I guess I am slightly experienced to ride on the back of the bike.

slideshow_0014
Wow - we look young.

Ok, let's really meet her.

What is your favourite meal of all time (to eat?)
- My hubby's cordon blue or bbq'd oysters

What is your favourite meal of all time to cook?
- I like to cook breaky for the fam... blueberry pancakes or Scotch eggs if we have company :)

What is your most memorable meal?
- I have so many... but one of my faves was a Robbie Burns supper that sent a few people running for the lou in laughter. We also had a wonderful lobster feast this summer on our deck at Bowen

Your favourite kitchen utensil?
- My new awesome cutting board and my homemade wooden spoon

If you could have dinner with anyone - who would it be? What would you eat? And where?
- Jimmy Buffett... tropical island paradise... cheeseburger.

Would you like to meet the Pioneer Woman? And would you take me with you? And would you like to live on her ranch?
- These are silly questions!!! OF COURSE!! I have a serious problem with cowboys.

Alright - back to the PW. When her new cookbook - 'Food From My Frontier' - came out - I ordered one for me and Jeannie. I knew that she would enjoy it - and was excited to send it to her.

Last week she let me know that she tried one of the recipes - so immediately - I knew that she was going to need to be a Guest Chef. I made them using the recipe in the book - but altering it slightly. I didn't have red potatoes, I used white potatoes. And I didn't add rosemary. Fine - I didn't add it b/c I was too lazy to go out to my backyard and cut some from my rosemary bush.

IMG_2193

Crash Hot Potatoes

You can check out the recipe on The Pioneer Woman's website - HERE.

Whole potatoes
Olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
Fresh rosemary

Pre-heat the oven to 350.

Boil the whole potatoes for 20-25 minutes - until they are soft to poke with a fork.

Place them on a foil lined baking sheet and using a potato masher, gently mash the potato down flat. Brush (or drizzle) each potato with olive oil, season with kosher salt and pepper and add freshly chopped rosemary. Bake in the 350 oven for about 25 minutes.

IMG_2192

Yum.

These are so good. Chris really loved them. Jeannie - Chris and I will be there for dinner one night. And we would like your hubby's bbq'd oysters, these potatoes and Scotch eggs for breaky.

I love you so.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: