Monday, April 9, 2012

Prancing.

Happy Easter Monday!
It's hard to believe that Easter has come and gone. I love Easter weekend - I love that there is usually a 4 day weekend, there's usually lots of chocolate, friends and family, spring is here summer is just around the corner.

We had a pretty lovely weekend around here. We hung out together. We went to some friends for a hockey game and dinner. I had a hard workout with my friend, Tanya, aka El Diablo. WE did brunch with my mom at The Empress. I had a nap. We had lots of dog walks. We went to friends for an Appy Party - good friends and such good food.

For the Appy Party - I made chicken tacos with a peach cilantro salsa - I have made it before. You can check it out HERE.

Maegan's daughter was the Judge for the night - picking the best appy. Her son was one of the key testers and had the most poetic things to say about the food that he was tasting. After he had a bite of the chicken taco, he said, and I quote: "I wish I was dreaming. And in my dream I was prancing through a field of tacos". Chris rates my food - and I love it when I get a 5 - but pretty sure that this was the best compliment ever.

Our friend Sara, made the most delicious dessert. A pound cake with fresh strawberries and Lemon Curd. Oh my. Deelish. Maegan's son's comment for her dish was: "I wish that I was in a bed of strawberries and the lemon curd was my blanket". I was wishing the same thing. Well sort of. He said it way more poetically than I did. What I was actually thinking was - I wish that no one was here right at this moment, and I would grab a straw and guzzle all of that lemon curd". But, I am ladylike - so I just decided drizzle a wee bit on some strawberries and a piece of the pound cake.

If you are interested in trying lemon curd - although this isn't Sara's recipe - it was quite deelish when I made this last year.

So we whipped up a turkey on Friday. Really - like it took no time at all. It was just a small 10 pounder. We did the usual mashed potatoes. And then we had far too many leftover. So, for tonight, I tried to do something a little different. Super easy - and quite tasty.

IMG_2139

Mashed Potato Balls

2-3 cups of mashed potatoes
1 pack of shake and bake - crispy

Pre-heat the oven to 400.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Form the mashed potatoes into balls - about the size of golf balls. Add one of the mashed potato balls at a time to the shake and bake coating - and coat it generously.

IMG_2138

Bake for 50 minutes.

The outside will be so nice and crispy and the inside will be so light and fluffy.

IMG_2141

These were really quite tasty. And I know that many of you are probably thinking that you will never have Shake and Bake on hand - to be honest I am not really sure why I had it in the cupboard. It may be from C's cooking fest - that's one of his specialties - chicken with shake and bake and a bunch of veggies.

Alright - it's Monday night - it's time to wind down from a lovely weekend and plan for a lovely week.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Cheryl, for treating me to brunch, it was deelish. You are the greatest, Mom