Sunday, May 6, 2012

Happy Sunday

IMG_2213

Happy May 6th. What a lovely day out there.
The super moon last night was so beautiful.
Yesterday was a goodie too.
I feel that it is the start of summer - still a bit cold - but starting to spend time in the yard is always the kicker for me. I went out back for the first time in quite some time (I avoid the backyard pretty much all winter and start of spring b/c it's like a bog back there) and we had an abundance of rhubarb. I sort of couldn't believe how much there was. I thought that I butchered it a couple of years back - but apparently rhubarb is hearty and relentless.

TODAY I AM RHUBARB.

IMG_2215
            

I did this recipe a couple of years ago - it kind of cracks me up to read how I used to write back then. It was a good post though - I love the memory it brought back. Can you check it out HERE

Rhubarb Custard Pie

2 cups of sliced rhubarb* 
2 eggs
2 heaping tbsp of flour
1/2 cup of cane sugar
1/8 tsp cinammon
Small can of canned milk
Frozen pie shell

*This time I added fresh strawberries as well - so did a bit more than a cup of rhubarb and then about a cup and half of sliced strawberries.

Pre-heat the oven to 425.

Add the sliced rhubarb to the pie shell. In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Add in the flour, cane sugar and cinnamon - stir all of this together. Add in the canned milk and incorporate together. It will become nice and silky. Pour over top of the rhubarb in the pie shell.

Place in the 425 oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 50 minutes.

IMG_2216

Serve with ice cream or whipped yogurt or just have it on it's own.

Chris rates this one a 5++++ every time.

Alright time to get this day on - dog walk, a little shopping, Starbucks Frapps (half price this afternoon) and hopefully picking out some pots for the deck and a dinner for kings. 

Loves.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Alyson O'Holic said...

I haven't had rhubarb since the days of my childhood when I would eat it raw from the bush outside my grandparent's home...I've been so tempted to try my hand at a rhubarb pie, thank you!

C. Mitchell said...

Hi Alyson - that's so funny - b/c so many people that I have spoken to about rhubarb all talk about dipping it into sugar just after it was picked. I never did this. I hope that you give the pie a try. Let me know how it turns out! C.