Sunday, June 10, 2012

I scream, U scream...

Wow, it's been ages again since I've written. I'm not really sure why I have been so absent. I guess work, dogs, summer (if that's what you call it - our weather is for the pits), gardening, trying to get fit, cooking... all that stuff is just interfering with my ability to be able to write on my blog. I have been cooking a lot - have been trying new recipes - so it's definitely not for a lack of food - that's for sure.

I should be able to multi-task better. I should be able to do a lot of things better. I'm actually not too bad at multi-tasking - if my tasks are talking on the phone, making dinner, watching tv, doing a load of laundry and tidying up.

I am not going to post anything too exciting today - unless you think that ice cream sandwiches are exciting. Ha! If you're like me then this is big.

Before that though - my oldest nephew graduated from high school this weekend. I can't believe it. I remember the day that he was born - everything about it. I remember the summer after my dad passed and I was going back to university and he dropped me off at the airport with my mom and sister and he was crying - and as I walked away he waved to me with his pointer finger. That vision to this day still breaks my heart. I remember how he named me 'AaAa' I remember his first day of school. I remember his first sleep over at my house. I remember his first out of town hockey tournie that I went to with him. I remember the first hockey trip that I took him on. I remember meeting his first girlfriend. I remember how everytime I see him he grows more handsome and becomes such an incredible young man. I love that kid so much. Although he isn't my child - I feel that this must be somewhat like the feeling that a parent has for their own child. He will be grown in no time to where he is on his own.

Alright - I just had to grab a tissue. Whoa!!!

IMG_2376 

I ordered this ice cream sandwich maker a couple of weeks ago. I am going to bring it to the Annual Family Reunion - and I think that it will be a pretty big hit with the kids. I had to test it out. What? What if it broke or soemthing? Or what if I couldn't figure out how to use it with 8 young kids watching me? What if they didn't taste good? See? Now you get my drift. Did you ever say that? 'Ge my drift?' Ya, me neither. I did say 'take a picture it lasts longer' when someone was starting at me. Of course out of the distance that the person staring at me could actually hear me.

I tried a new chocolate chip recipe that I found HERE - and altered it slightly.

Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream Sandwiches

Cookies
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
2/3 cup of all purpose flour
4 tbsp of brown sugar
4 tbsp of cane sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup of chocolate chunks - or chocolate chips
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp of vegetable oil*
6 tbsp of milk - I used unsweetened almond milk

*The recipe called for either vegetable oil or coconut. I have coconut but I wasn't sure if you were supposed to melt it down and then add it b/c it is too hard to add into the dry ingredients. I will find out though.

Pre-heat the oven to 380.

In a bowl mix all of the dry ingredients together. Add in the wet and mix well. At first the dough will seem like it is quite dry - but it will all meld together. I used my hands and really got all of the ingredients together.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Using your hands, make little balls and place on the baking sheet. You should be able to make 18 cookies.

Bake in the oven for 9 minutes.

Let cool completely.

Ice Cream
I used 'no sugar added' Breyers. I really love this ice cream b/c it isn't too sweet - and to me tastes more like ice cream should - without too much sugar making it too sweet. Let the ice cream soften slightly so that it is easy to work with.

IMG_2375 

 I used the Cuisipro to make the ice cream sandwiches - and free-handed one without.

IMG_2379

Super deelish treat. I think that they will be a hit for the reunion.

I hope that you are all well - enjoying a lovely Sunday afternoon - getting ready for another glorious week to start.

Loves.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Chers, I needed two hankies, Memorus are so great to have. Your deert looks delish.
Mom

Anonymous said...

sorry for the spelling. Memorus should be memories an deert shoule be desert

Clipping Path said...

A real informative blog like this is an exceptionally cool helping resource for a needy information seeker like me! Thanks a lot for sharing.