Monday, August 6, 2012

If you can't take the heat - eat a popsicle

Oh hi. Are you loving the heat? Is it hot where you are? It's been hot here. Like super hot. Like we don't know what to do about it? It's like we all hit the panic and just act as though were melting or something. By 'we' - I mostly mean my husband and I. Well my neighbour too. And many friends. And a few family members. And this woman that I passed on the street that was doing this weird yell that sounded like 'Gollum' from Lord of the Rings. But instead of yelling 'My Precious' she was yelling 'I'm melting'. It freaked me out. I told her to get a hold of herself and have a cold shower. Ok. Fine. That didn't really happen - but I am sure that it could have.

I don't want to complain though - because we have had a crappy summer. Always windy. Maximum heat about 21. In the weather's defense - within the last couple of days my tomatoes have really been loving it. And so has my zucchini. My other plants - meh, not so much. I think that this weather hasn't been so good for them. They are slowing leaving. Fine - I have been so good to you. I have watered. Fertilized... Oh well. They were lovely while they lasted this short while.

While it's been hot, I have been downing water like it's going out of style. Question - will water ever go out of style? Can you ever picture the cover of Canadian Living - 'Water. Fashion Faux Pas'. I have been drinking a lot of it - and experts say that we should. For the longest time - drinking water was so hard for me - it was all psychological. I could drink bottled water without any problem - but tap or Brita just didn't do it for me. Then something changed and I love it. I drink a lot of it. Sometimes, I like to flavour it but adding frozen strawberries, blueberries, grapefruit slices - really whatever I feel like. No - I haven't tried chocolate and I probably won't. Don't even challenge me to that.

Ok - now for what we have really been cooling ourselves off with - besides the turbo fan that sounds like a small jet plane taking off. The thing is so loud - that last night when the fireworks were going off (BTW - I didn't get the memo about them) I thought that someone was breaking into our downstairs door because of the banging. The fan was so loud that it drowned out the loud bangs and pops from the fireworks. And when my husband asked me how I slept last night - he was shocked to know that the fan kept me awake for part of the night. Shocked - because he fell asleep as soon as his tired and hot bod (I don't mean that in a hootchy schootch way) I mean hot b/c it was still 30 when we went to bed and his head hit the pillow.

Now - where was I? Oh yes, here.

I have been working on some of these trying to come up with some different, relatively healthy, low cal, low sugar popsicle treats.

IMG_3070
Blueberry and Vanilla Frozen Yogurt Pop, Frozen Bellini Pops with White Peaches and 
Green Tea Frappapop

I found these popsicle molds in a kitchen shop a couple of years ago. I loved them because they weren't the standard molds - sort of looked a little retro and were a good size.

IMG_3059

 Blueberry and Vanilla Frozen Yogurt Pops

Fresh Blueberries
Vanilla Yogurt

Mix - spoon into molds and freeze. Ta-da! That easy.

IMG_3064

Frozen Bellini Pops with White Peaches

Crystal Light Peach Bellini mix
1 white peach - thinly sliced

Make up a pitcher of the bellini mix. Personally I add a lot more water than it calls for - because I find the drink way too sweet. Fill up the molds with the juice and add thin slices of the white peach. Freeze. Ta-da!

IMG_3061


Green Tea Frappapop

This sort of to me is like the Starbucks Green Tea  that my husband and I love.

Green tea - steeped and cooled
Vanilla ice cream

Let the green tea cool and add about 1 cup of green tea to about 1 1/2 cups of vanilla ice cream. Mix it all together - pour it in the molds - freeze - ta-da!

So although they don't cool you off completely, and they aren't the fanciest dessert - they are a nice treat on a hot day and there is very little clean up required.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We sure could have used those in Chilliwack