Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fennel season.

Fennel.

IMG_3386 

Sort of a cross between onion, celery, asparagus and black licorice.
It's heavy.
It's tasty.
It can be roasted.
It can be shredded in a salad.
You can use every part of it.

Last week I went to Zambri's for lunch and one of the appetizers we tried was roasted fennel with some sort of a cream sauce. I LOVED it. I had never had roasted fennel before. So, naturally, I thought - Challenge Accepted.

Then I realized that I had a ton of fennel tops leftover. I wasn't sure what I could do with it all but I felt badly for just tossing it. So, naturally, I thought - Challenge Accepted.

The following 3 dishes, were made from 3 fennel bulbs. I don't even know if that's what they are called. I don't really have recipes for them. I just sort of chopped, seasoned and cooked.

IMG_3366 

Roasted Fennel

The tops were cut off. I cut the bottom off as well and then pulled off the layers. They are just like onions. Pre-heat the oven to 425. Place all of the slices on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss it all together. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. The fennel will  caramelize and be oh so tasty.

IMG_3390 

Salmon and fennel tops

Cut the tops off - the top almost looks like dill. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a salmon fillet, skin side down. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Then place of the fennel tops on top of the salmon. Top with lemon wedges. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes at 375. The fennel doesn't over power the salmon at all - and just gives it a refreshing flavour with the salmon.

IMG_3392 

Sauteed fennel with red pepper

The fennel stalks are so much like celery. Chop then in to pieces. Chop a red pepper into pieces. Saute in a bit of olive oil, a tbsp of soya sauce and a tbsp of teriyaki sauce. Saute for abut 10 minutes - keeping it slightly crispy.

And that's it. All of that with 3 fennel bulbs.

Who knew?

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Meggles said...

We LOVE fennel over here too! Love late summer, shaved beet and fennel salads :)