Monday, September 3, 2012

Figalicious

Figs.

IMG_3251

If you would have told me when I was 12 that I would have loved figs, I would have probably said 'Ya, right! Nojustjoking'. The reason that I typed 'Nojustjoking' together - is because I used to say that SOOO fast at pretty much the end of every sentence.  I think that it sort of sounded like 'njusjoka'. My dad used to make fun of me and say stuff like 'Cheryl if you don't hurry up you're going to be late -nojustjoking'. Or 'Cheryl what time is skating, nojustjoking'. It was odd. Not that my dad used to make fun of me - but because I used to say that. Thankfully I grew out of that. Probably when I was 14 or something.

Now I say things that are way more mature, like: 'Just joking'.

IMG_3247

Anyways, bag to figs. Seriously though - they would not have been appealing to me whatsoever. I would have turned my nose up at them and then when no one was looking tossed them.

Now - oh my. I love them. They are one of the most beautiful little gems. They are sweet, colourful, flavourful and so pretty.

I went fig picking last week. Ha - just joking. I went to my gf, Tracy's, and picked off her tree. She is so generous that she shared them with me. She knows of my addiction, and like a good friend - she helps feed it. If it was a bad addiction, she would not do the same. That's what bf's are for.

So, I have been busy with them. I also had a bunch when we were at Point Roberts from my mom's neighbour. She brought me over a huge bowl full. I made my mom's neighbours Fig and Goat Cheese Pizza with Pesto a couple of years ago - and I think that they want me to make it again. I really should.

So here are a few things that I have been making with them lately.

Prosciutto wrapped figs with goat cheese

IMG_3210

Slice a small x at the top of each fig (the pointy end) and fill it with about a tsp (maybe a bit more) of goat cheese - and then wrap each fig with a thin slice of prosciutto. Place them on a medium heated grill and grill for about 5 minutes, until the prosciutto is nice and crispy and the goat cheese is melted.

Figs and goat cheese with sliced ciabatta

IMG_3282
IMG_3280

Not really a recipe - just do exactly what the title says. So deelish.

Fig infused vinegar

IMG_3255

I will tell you more about this when it is all done. Which is about 2 weeks. I can't wait to try it out.

And - I have made some popsicles as well - and they are setting - so when they are good to go - you know what I will do - post a pic.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: