Saturday, September 8, 2012

Blackberry Love

I'm not sure if you know but summer is almost over. Seriously! Can you believe it. I can't believe that today is September 8th. It seems like summer just started here at the end of July for us here in Vic. We had a beautiful August - filled with hot, sunny days - warm nights - awesome thunder and lightening shows. I will be sad when it is over for reals - but I will be in love with fall. I love fall.

IMG_3344

Right now my kitchen looks like a bit of a Farmer's Market. Well not really. I just like to pretend that I have a farm and bring in all the goodies. Right now I have picked quite a few of our tomatoes - but there are still so many more green tomatoes that I am hoping ripen before the warm weather ends. I have figs, plums and peaches from friends. Thanks friends!!! I am planning on making fig and plum relish or chutney (I haven't decided what I will call it just yet) tomorrow - and I have 'BYB' (Behind Yard Barb) coming to help with the canning part of it. She's got the tools she tells me.

IMG_3345 

I also have garlic from a garlic farm!!! Our friends Steve and Alanna's (Happy Birthday Alanna) parents have  a garlic farm in the Okanagan.  Okanagan Garlic. They brought me back the Variety Pack - with 5 different types of garlic. I haven't tried any yet - but will be this weekend and for dinner on Monday with friends. I can't wait to check it out. And just in case you were needing some good garlic - you can buy it online. Love it!

IMG_3348

I also have a blackberry bush that just sort of popped up in the backyard. And, even though we pretty much just found it - we are pretty happy because the blackberries are deelish. I am going to try and figure out how to tame that crazy growing bush - so that it doesn't run wild and take over the entire garden. I am also going to try and tame it so that one of our other neighbours, who I will call 'E' doesn't have a conniption fit when it starts to grow and hang over the fence. E is quite lovely - but she doesn't enjoy 'things' going into her yard that shouldn't. And by 'things', I pretty much mean Jozie. Any chance that little critter can shimmy under the fence she's there. She usually just runs bazerk like she's escaped and has freedom - like a kid on the playground at recess - running in circles thinking that someone is chasing them - but really everyone is just standing around thinking 'What the heck is their problem and why are they running in circles'. When this does happen E is with a broom trying to take deep breaths while shooing her out. And I am running after her saying 'Jozie go home' and Jozie is running laps and thinking 'Oh man - look at them chase me now'. It's all very entertaining. However, E doesn't enjoy it. And now that the blackberry bush has 'moved in' I am sure that she will be wishing that her broom was a magic wand that would dissolve of that poor, helpless bush. 

Wow!

Alright - so if you have an over abundance of blackberries - and A. you don't want to share them with me, and B. you like sweet treats - you should make some blackberry frozen yogurt. When we were at Point Roberts this last time we went and picked the most deelish blackberries. All growing wild, right by the sea, super organic. 

IMG_3222

Frozen Blackberry Yogurt

3 cups of fresh blackberries
2 cups of yogurt - vanilla or plain
Honey - if you're using plain yogurt and you like it to be a bit sweeter
Water

IMG_3174

In a small pot add 1 cup of the blackberries, cover with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer on low for about 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally. You can use a spoon to break down the berries. Take them off of the heat and let them cool. Using a mesh strainer, strain the juice. 

IMG_3178

Add the yogurt into a shallow dish that can be refrigerated. If you are using honey and plain yogurt - give that a good whisk together before putting it in the dish. Then add in the blackberry juice. If you are like me - the colour will amaze you. Oh nature, I love you.

IMG_3180

Then add in your remaining fresh blackberries. Gently stir it all together.

IMG_3215

Place it in the freezer and stir about every 30 minutes until it is at the consistency that you like - and you are ready to eat it. If you're not ready to eat it - just keep it in the freezer. Pull it out a couple of minutes before  you're ready to serve it.

IMG_3218

This is such a nice treat any time of the day. 

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: