Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mmmmm Bacon

IMG_3445 

I just had the best dinner. Seriously! I am not going to post the recipe because there really isn't one - and I think that if I showed you a picture that you would tell me that it looked like I was eating baby food. FYI - I am NOT eating baby food. I also don't have a baby. Well unless Chris is my baby. Gag. We don't call each other 'baby'. We call each other 'Babe' quite often. Like 'hi babe'. Or 'babe can you pour me a full glass of wine?' Actually I am not a huge wine drinker. So it would be more like 'babe can you make me a chocolate milk shake?' And he would say 'babe, no. Milk shakes aren't good for you'. And then I would say something like 'Babe, screw you'. And then we would laugh and dance and hug.

IMG_3426 

Anyways - for Thanksgiving dinner I roasted not one, but TWO huge roasting pans full of root vegetables and a few non-rooties. There were yams, butternut squash, parsnips, yellow beets, purple beets and carrots. They were roasted with a bit of olive oil, kosher salt and pepper - roasted at 400 for about 45 minutes. There were a lot left over. So tonight - I put the rest in the blender, added a bit of vegetable stock and pureed it all up. It was sort of the consistency of mashed potatoes. Seriously! The colour was spectacular. I sauteed a bit of onion with two red peppers in a pan, added the rest of the chopped up turkey and heated it all up. Yumma in my tumma.

Now although we loved the roasted veggies, but this recipe was the star of the dinner. Well I sort of think that it was. I found the recipe in a Canadian Living magazine, and it is going to be my new 'go to'. I think that there are many different variations to do with this. It's rustic, it's full of flavour and it is a deelish treat.

Please try it and tell me if you loved it like we did.

IMG_3441 

Leek, Apple and Bacon Tart

2 leeks
3 apples - something a bit sweet not too tart - I used gala
10 strips of bacon
1/2 cup of white wine
1/4 cup of cream
3 tbsp of dijon mustard
2 cups of gruyere cheese
Puff pastry

PS - I also made this for our friend Stacey, who is vegetarian, and I just sauteed the leeks and apple in a bit of olive oil - and made her, her own little tart.

PSS - I made the tart filling the day before and just kept it in the fridge. It made the prep so easy.

Bake the bacon in a 400 for 20 minutes. You don't have to bake the bacon - but lining a baking sheet or tray wth aluminum foil - and baking them is so easy. So Easy!  Drain 2 tbsp of the bacon fat. Pat the bacon dry - to try and soak up the extra fat.

In a skillet, saute the leek in the bacon fat. (I feel so bad and guilty for using bacon fat!!!) Sigh. Ok, I'm over it. Saute the leeks - add in a pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper, until they are soft, 3-5 minutes. Add in the white wine. Add in the apples and continue to saute - about another 3 minutes. Add in the cream and let the leeks and apple thicken. Rough chop the bacon and add it to the leeks and apples.

Puff pastry - make sure that it is fully thawed (I used Tenderflake and it never fails) - roll out onto a flour surface. Roll into a rectangular shape. Fold in the corners so that it makes and then fold over all of the sides - about 1/2 inch. Do this for both pieces of the puff pastry.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the puff pastry to the sheet.  Brush the corners and sides with milk. Spread the dijon mustard evenly over the puff pastry. Evenly place the mixture into each tart. Then top with the shredded gruyere cheese. Brush the sides again with milk.

Bake in a 400 oven for 25 minutes.

IMG_3444 

Rustic, so flavouful, so deelish.

Alrightyo - off to tidy that messy kitchen.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: