Saturday, October 20, 2012

Royalty?

Well, I have just had a week off of work, and head back to the grind on Monday. It's been a great week - I just wish that when I said 'week' that I meant 'four weeks'. But, the week has been lovely - and I am truly blessed to have had a week off with my husband.

We visited Summerland - and hung out with my brother and his family. I just love it there. I love his farm, I love the weather, I love the town, I love it all. I loved, LOVED, spending time with my nieces and nephew and just reconnecting with them and catching up.

My brother's farm is full of apples, pears and asian pears right now. SO MANY. I made pies, apple crisps while we were there and brought home a suitcase full of asian pears and apples. I haven't done anything with them yet except eat them. They are so delicious. There really isn't much like picking something right from the tree and devouring it.

The rest of the week - we haven't done anything too exciting. There have been daily dog walks, lunch out, dessert out, meeting friends for tea and lunch, a movie, house cleaning, getting rid of stuff, and just taking it easy. We're sort of the King and Queen of taking it easy this week. I wonder if that is really a thing? OMG - we could be royalty!!!

Last night - after a long of tea with a friend and a Costco trip - and sitting on my Royal Canadian - and before we went to 'Looper' (I highly recommend it) I whipped up a batch of Lettuce Wraps. Typically THIS is my recipe for Lettuce Wraps - but I switched it up. I switched it up b/c I didn't have my normal ingredients for my 'typical' recipe - but I am so happy that I tried it a different way.

IMG_3482

 Lettuce Wraps Version 2.

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - chopped into small bite size pieces
2 red peppers - chopped into small bite size pieces
1 small onion - chopped

Sauce
3 tbsp low sodium soya sauce
1 tsp of hot sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp of fresh ginger
Juice of half a lime
1 tbsp of honey

Romaine lettuce leafs
Organic sesame seeds (optional)

IMG_3477


In a skillet or large pan - over medium heat - heat a dash of olive oil and add in the onion with a pinch of kosher salt. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent - about 7 minutes. Add in the chicken and cook.

Meanwhile - in a small blender* - add the garlic and the ginger - and chop it all up. Add in the rest of the ingredients and puree it all up. Add the sauce to chicken and continue to cook - add in the peppers at this time too.

Stir consistently - and continue to cook it until the chicken is done.

IMG_3480


Scoop out the mixture on to romaine lettuce leaves and top with a tsp of sesame seeds.

And that's it. They are crisp, delicious, flavourful and healthy!!!

IMG_3479


*I have a small Cuisinart food processor that I LOVE. I used it all the time. And I saw one at Costco yesterday for $39 - I paid double for mine at the Bay.

Alrighty friends. I have a panko crusted chicken in the oven right now. It's one of my brother's chickens that he raised - and we are super excited to try it. I will share.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: