Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Christmas is coming! What? Who said that?

I don't want to alarm you - but unless you have been living under a rock since Halloween - you will know that Christmas is coming. CHRISTMAS IS COMING!!!!

I was a bit hesitant to mention Christmas before December 1st - and then I decided that it was ok.

I love Christmas. I am excited that the holidays are among us. I won't do 'Christmas' before December 1st. I may buy a few Christmas presents, I may start thinking about our holiday party and what will be on the menu, I may start making my Christmas list, I may purchase wrapping paper, and I may plan a craft evening with my bf to make Christmas tags.

Thankfully December 1st is a Saturday this year - so I will start the decorating early. If you want to come and help - I will serve eggnog and candy canes - and have cookies baking in the oven. I NEED HELP PEOPLE! Well not really - I just like it when I am not alone decorating playing Alabama's Christmas album and Dolly and Kenny over and over again. Actually - I do like it. As long as husband is there to pack up all the boxes and put them away - I'll be happy.

Ok, instead of a recipe tonight - I thought about posting a few things for Christmas to get you in the spirit. If you are not wanting to be in the 'spirit' yet, I apologize.

How about this for a nice Christmas gift?

IMG_1808 

  Homemade soup mix

1 glass jar
3/4 cup dried soup base/mix (I used a base that I found and Lifestyle Market)
2/3 cup dried green peas
1/2 cup pearl barley
2/3 cup orange lentils
1/2 cup dried onion flakes
1/2 cup dried yellow beans
2 1/2 tsp dried italian seasoning
1/2 cup pasta (shells or macaroni)

Instructions:

1 onion - diced
1 pound of ground meat - beef, turkey or chicken
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can of tomato sauce
4 qts of water or stock
Vegetables if desired

In a large skillet, add the olive oil, and saute the onion with a pinch of kosher salt. Saute for 6-8 minutes. Add in the ground meat. Saute until the meat is browned. Add in the stock, tomatoes and tomato paste. Add in all of the soup mix and let simmer for at least an hour. Stirring regularly. Add in any vegetables that you like in soup - corn, celery, carrots...

IMG_1809 

I gave these as gifts last year with soup bowls, soup spoons and fancy crackers. Wrapped in cellophane with a big ribbon - they made great gifts.

Alrighty - I need to go and start my Christmas list.

Dear Santa....

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: