Monday, November 12, 2012

One down...

Well I am not sure about you - but I have successfully made it through a fabulous Monday.

I like to say 'one down, 4 more to go'. I am referring to the weekend, just in case you weren't sure. Could you imagine if I was like, 'one down, 4 more to go, and then two days until we have another Monday! Wahoo, I love Mondays!!!'. No seriously, could you imagine?

I actually don't mind Mondays at all. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Fridays over Mondays - but I am not a 'disliker' of the Monday. Sort of like how I am a morning person instead of a night person. I like the mornings. Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy not having to get up and go-go-go in the morning from time to time - but I would much rather get up early and rested than staying up until all hours of the night. In my younger years, I could stay out late, and get up early. Now I really have to take one or the other. If I stay up late - I might as well just book the next day off. I like my sleep.

Wow - I just re-read what I wrote - and can pretty much guess that you all think that I am some wild and crazy girl. I still can be - I just have to plan for it months in advance. Like this coming weekend - my BF - Tracy (check out her new website HERE) - and I are going to be living it up 'crazy style' in the big city. We are thankfully on the same page when we define 'living it up crazy style'. We'll probably have a drink or two, have a nice dinner somewhere and then hang out on the couch with the tele on just talking. Hm, I maybe should have checked with her before I wrote this - because she could be really wanting a crazy night.

Alright - I intended to have this post dedicated to some butternut squash. I love that stuff! It's the best time of the year for it - so stock up on it - it's in abundance - it's deelish and it's good for you!

IMG_3511 

Butternut Squash Chili

Ok - disclaimer - I am not sure if I can really call this a 'chili' but I am.
Also - this dinner makes enough for a A LOT of meals. Perfect for freezing.

1 large onion - diced
2 packs of lean ground turkey
1 large butternut squash - peeled and cut into small bite size cubes
2 red peppers - diced
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
5-6 stalks of celery - sliced
2 large cans of diced tomatoes
1 small can of stewed tomatoes
2 cans of white kidney beans - rinsed (or use whatever beans you love)
1 large garlic clove - diced or shredded
3 tbsp of chili powder
1 tbsp of ground cumin
2 tbsp of oregano

In a large pot, over medium heat, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil and add the onion - with a pinch of kosher salt. Saute the onions until they are translucent and golden. Add in the ground turkey. Brown the ground turkey - until it is almost cooked. Season with all of the spices and the garlic.

Add in the butternut squash. Stir so that the butternut squash is covered with all of the onion and turkey. Add in the remaining vegetables and stir it all together.

Next add in the tomatoes and beans.

Add in more seasoning if you like it spicier.

IMG_3510 

Stir everything together. Cover, and let simmer over low-medium heat for at least 30-45 minutes.

And that's it. A full, dinner in no time.

Top with a dollop of non-fat plain yogurt - and you have a deelish dish.

*This dish could be made vegan or vegetarian so easily - just omit the turkey. Add tofu, extra beans or more mushrooms for it to be heartier - without missing the meat.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: