Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Dough

Happy Tuesday.

Two.

I have had numbers on my mind this week. Two is my least favourite one. Last Sunday I lost two pounds. I was happy about that. Ecstatic. Hard work paid off. I ate well - all meals were planned, only a couple of tiny treats (very tiny), one Coke Zero, healthy snacks and meals. I worked out hard - 5 workouts that included runs, spin classes and drill style workouts. I drank lots and lots of water - 3-4 litres a day. And I slept at least 7-8 hours a night.

This Sunday - I gained two pounds. And everything that is listed above is pretty much what I did this past week. So... this Sunday we'll see what happens. I hope to be down two or more. If I'm not - I hope that I don't have a fit - throw myself down on the scale - flailing my arms and legs - sobbing - throwing a monster fit - and crying to whoever is listening 'WHY ME???'.

Can you picture it? It is going to be unattractive. Please pray to the Goddess of Losing Weight - I am sure that there is one - and let her know to tip the scale for me.

Ok - I have just composed myself - and I have decided that I won't throw a fit. I will just be a lady, walk away, say curse words in my head and then pretend that I have a limp or something to distract people from wanting to know what the scale said.

Alright enough me dwelling on the fact that I dislike the number 2.

I made something pretty delicious tonight. Something that you need to try. A couple of months ago, a friend, Lindsay, told me about making pizza with cauliflower - and was like 'uh what?' and then sort of forgot about it. I LOVE cauliflower. Seriously. Love it. Here are a few of my favourite cauliflower recipes:

Creamed cauliflower with curry soup
Cauliflower Fritters 
Mashed cauliflower with fresh dill

So the other day I was at The Root Cellar - and they had the beauties on for a good deal. I stalked up as I normally do. Later that day - Chris said at least 2 (there is that number again) 'Don't forget to use this'. Oh thanks, hon. I was thinking of forgetting about using it. Please don't tell him that I said that. If he asks say something like 'wow, you're so nice! it's great you love cauliflower so much and love to talk about using it with your incredibly, beautiful, loving wife'. Practice this please - so that it doesn't seem fake. Go!

When I saw the cauliflower I decided that it was time to make me some pizza with cauliflower.

IMG_3797 

**I made this again - and used a pizza pan (basically a baking sheet) and gave it a light mist of cooking spray - baked it for 25 minutes - and it was nice and crispy. **

Cauliflower Pizza

1 whole cauliflower
1 large garlic clove
2 eggs - beaten
2 cups of light mozzarella - shredded
1 tbsp of dried seasoning - italian, or basil or oregano

Pizza toppings

Pre-heat oven to 400.

Cut up the cauliflower into small florets. Using a food processor - or a heavy duty blender - place a cup or so in the food processor at a time - and pulse it so that it becomes really fine. I found that I did a few bits at a time or the food processor got a little difficult to process. In the end, the cauliflower should be quite fine - almost the consistency of mashed potatoes before you add the milk.

I did these up the night before. It took no time at all - and they were all ready for me the next night when I wanted to put together the crust.

In a skillet - saute the cauliflower in a drizzle of olive oil for about 10 minutes. During the cooking time - I added the garlic clove which I grated into the cauliflower.

Remove the cauliflower and place it into a bowl. Add in the beaten eggs, the shredded cheese and the seasoning. Give it a good mix - the cheese will melt and the cauliflower will become just like dough. It's magic.

Place the cauliflower pizza to either a baking sheet or pizza stone. I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper - but I don't think that I would use this again - I found that it made the crust a bit moist. I would either invest in a pizza stone - or I would spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread out the dough so that it is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.

Cook in the 400 oven for 18 minutes.

The crust will become crusty, golden and you may just want to dive in and eat it. Don't or you won't have pizza.

While the pizza is cooking - you can prepare the toppings. My toppings were:
- sauteed mushrooms, zucchini and yellow peppers with goat cheese (I sauteed the sliced brown mushrooms with tiny cubes of zucchini and yellow peppers and red pepper flakes in a pan for about 10 minutes)
- basil, chicken, goat cheese and topped with fresh tomatoes after the pizzas came out of the oven

I didn't make round pizzas - I made one large rectangular one - and did the two different toppings on each half.

When the pizza crust is done - remove it from the oven - and set the oven to Broil.

Place your favourite toppings on the pizza - don't add too many - and then broil for 4 minutes.

IMG_3801
Fresh basil leaves, roasted chicken, goat cheese and fresh tomatoes

IMG_3802
Brown mushrooms, zucchini, peppers and goat cheese

And that's it.

They are so flavourful, not filling or greasy like some pizzas can be - and you can't feel guilty for eating pizza.

Please try this - and let me know if you liked it.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: