Thursday, January 31, 2013

Weekend rules.

Can you hear that? Listen. Can you? That my friends, is the weekend calling us. It's saying that it is just one sleep away - and it is coming at us at a vengeance. When it is finally here, there are a few rules that you must follow:

1. Don't blink or you will miss it
2. Breathe it all in
3. Take advantage of every minute to do what you love
4. Take advantage of every other minute and do what you need to do
5. Enjoy

I don't have too much planned for the weekend. One thing that I do plan on every weekend, and have for the past 4 months - is exercising, prepping for the new week, taking some time for me, spending some quality time with my love and catching my breathe. I feel so much more energized and organized when I plan ahead. I realize that I am a creature of habit, and that I do best in that environment. And rather than dwelling on the fact that I may be a bit boring - I have embraced it - and just do my best.

One thing that I know that I will be doing this weekend is cooking. I will probably do another pot of Cabbage Roll Soup - because I am hooked on it. It's easy, it's deelish, it's hearty, and when I make enough - I have lots of leftovers. I am also going to try a new curry/squash soup with salmon or tofu. And cook up one of my brother's chickens. I know crazy!!!! Crazy!!!

I made this last weekend. It was easy, hearty and quite tasty. I took one of families favourites and tried 'healthy-it-up' a bit.

IMG_3804 

Skinny Shepherd's Pie

1 small onion - diced
1 pound of lean ground turkey
1 pepper (I used yellow) - diced
1 can of stewed tomatoes
2 medium sweet potatoes
2 cloves of garlic

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Wrap the garlic cloves in aluminum foil - first drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Cook the garlic for about 15 minutes while the meat is cooking.

IMG_3820

In a saute pan, saute the onion in a tbsp of olive oil. Season with kosher salt. Saute for about 7-8 minutes. Add in the ground turkey and saute until it is fully cooked. Add in peppers and the stewed tomatoes. Cook for a couple of minutes and remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, peel and cube the sweet potatoes and place in a pot of boiling water. Boil until they are fully cooked and are easily poked with a fork. Drain and mash using a potato masher. Add in the roasted garlic, season with a pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

I used large sized ramekins to construct the shepherds pies, but you can also use one large dish.

Place the turkey and tomatoes on the bottom and cover with the mashed sweet potatoes.

Bake in the 375 oven for about 20 minutes.

IMG_3818 

 And that's it. Serve hot with a salad like this ONE.

IMG_3811

Well my friends - it's time for me to hit the hay. I hope that you all enjoy your weekend.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: