Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Love, love, love...

Tomorrow is the day of love. Well, everyday should be a day of love, shouldn't it?

For tomorrow, I dare you to love yourself. Do something for yourself that you love - treat yourself to something that you love. Maybe chocolate? Maybe a glass of wine? Maybe watch the sappiest movie that you have always wanted to watch? Maybe eat dinner and don't do the dishes afterwards?

I DARE YOU!

I bet that you are dying to know what I will be doing. It is going to be good. Trust me. Fine - I will tell you - it's going to be legen...dary (I get that from 'How I Met Your Mother').

I am going to wake up at 5AM - and head to BDHQ for a 6AM spin class.
Then I will go to work, where I will get ready for the day. I will have two hard-boiled eggs and an apple for breakfast.
I will 'work' throughout the day. I will boycott Valentine's candies and chocolates. I will probably break down and have one or two.
I will then come home and walk our pups.
Then I think that I will make a Cauliflower Pizza for me and my sweetheart who will get home just after I get home from our dog walk.
And then we will talk, watch a little tele, hang out - and he will get ready for a crazy shift at work.
I will try and stay up past 9 and then hit the hay and head to dreamland.

So, for the most part - just being able to have a healthy workout first thing in the morning, being able to spend a little 1:1 time with my true love, will make it a good day. Sorry to disappoint - it won't be 'that' exciting.
IMG_3834

Speaking of love - I have a new soup recipe that I LOVE. I have made it twice - and I think that the last version was a keeper. I had friends in for dinner on Tuesday night and they gave it the name.

IMG_3826 

Shrimp and Tofu in Paradise

1 butternut squash
1 shallot
1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock
2 red peppers - julienned
1 medium zucchini - julienned

Juice of 1 lime
1 cup of fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp fresh ginger
1/2 of a jalapeno
2 tbsp peanut butter

2 cans of light coconut milk

1/2 package of rice noodles

Protein: I would suggest grilled tofu, fresh salmon and or prawns

Pre-heat the oven to 400. Peel the squash and then cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool slightly - an then cut into chunks.

In a large soup pot, saute the shallot (or an onion) in a dash of olive oil and pinch of kosher salt. Saute for 6-7 minutes. Add in the squash and then add in the stock. Before adding everything else, lightly mash the squash. Simmer over medium heat. Add in the zucchini and the peppers and continue to simmer.

In a food processor, add in the juice of the lime, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, ginger and peanut butter. Pulse so that it makes a thick paste. Stir this into the soup. Add in the coconut milk and reduce heat slightly and continue to simmer. Let it simmer for another 15-20 minutes.

Add in the rice noodles - continue to stir. They won't take long to cook - maybe 5 minutes.

IMG_3822 

For the protein: Tofu - if you have a grill pan - slice into thin slices, season with kosher salt and pepper. Brown both sides. Fresh prawns - add them right into the soup and let the cook. Salmon - cook in the oven with fresh lemon - and add that right in as well.

IMG_3837 

Top with fresh cilantro and a wedge of lime.

The flavours are divine. There are a lot of ingredients, but it is an easy dish to make.

I made the soup the night before - and added the noodles and protein just prior to serving. You can also reduce the amount of coconut milk and add more stock.

IMG_3828

I dare you to try this!

Alright friends - I hope that your day tomorrow is lovely.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: