Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Another chicken dinner - Sims Style

Me oh my. April has come and gone so quickly. I sort of feel like we were just planning for Easter - it came and went and now May is here and there are so many more events coming.

One thing that did happen in April was the Times Colonist 10K. I thought that I would go back and look at my series - Running For My Life - and see what race day was like in 2009 and 2010. You can read it HERE and HERE if you like. Even though they were 3 and 4 years ago, I remember them vividly. I remember my struggles that I had - but the thing that is standing out to me the most - is that I was able to really describe the race - like I was so in tune to what was happening with my body and what was happening around me. This time - not so much - but I think that is a good thing. I am realizing that my focus was on me - and just doing the race as I knew that I could. I guess all of the training that I had done worked. Instead of the playing mindgames with myself - and telling myself that I wasn't strong enough, that I was tired, that I should just walk - I just ran. And the best part of it - was that I loved it.

I am excited to think about what is next.

One thing that I have been doing over the month of April is eating. I am staying on track - planning meals, prepping for the week, shopping once for the week and having my morning vegetable/fruit drink. I am struggling with wanting treats, or having Noodle Box more than once, or the Ben & Jerry's we had the other night to celebrate race day. Sigh. I know that things could be worse - I just need to buckle down and get on track - and realize that eating well is my treat. Treating myself to healthy meals and snacks with lots of water - is what my body really wants (or maybe I should 'needs').

Here is a little dish that I made a couple of weeks ago. I saw a cooking show on tv and they were showing different options for healthy versions of cooking chicken parmesan. I sort of paid attention - but then later on I realized that I wanted it - badly - so I had try and remember what I had seen. It worked.
IMG_4181

Sims Style Parmesan Chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts - slice then in half (lengthwise) and flatten them out so that they are evenly thin. I wrapped my rolling pin in plastic wrap and banged them out :)
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese - freshly shredded
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 cups tomato sauce
Vegetables that you like to add to your pasta sauce - I added spinach and peppers
1 cup freshly chopped parsley
4 slices of soft mozzrella

Pre-heat the oven to 400.

IMG_4165

Season the chicken breasts with kosher salt and pepper. In a skillet, drizzle a tbsp of olive oil and heat to medium to high heat. Brown the chicken breasts on both sides - about 6-7 minutes each side.

IMG_4163

Place the chicken in a baking dish.

IMG_4169

In the same skillet, add in the tomato sauce. Heat the sauce through - and add in the chopped parsley.

IMG_4170

IMG_4171 

Slice a nice ball of fresh mozzarella so that you have 4 thin slices. Soft mozzarella is so delicious. The Root Cellar has local cheese - that is a huge treat.

IMG_4173

Place a thin slice on each piece of the chicken.

IMG_4174

Pour the sauce over top so that the chicken is fully coated in the saucy goodness.

IMG_4166

In a bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs and fresh parmesan adding in the italian seasoning. Mix it all together and cover the sauce with the breadcrumb mixture.

IMG_4175

Bake in the 400 oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden and crispy.

IMG_4180

You can serve this along side of vermicelli whole wheat noodles, or some steamed spinach or broccoli. I really enjoyed this meal - it was a nice treat - and I didn't have any guilt eating it.

IMG_4184

Alright - The Voice just started - so I have to cozy in for the night and watch.

Loves.

Enjoy!


No comments: