Sunday, April 21, 2013

Creamy Mustard Chicken - short and sweet

This blog post is going to be short and sweet. It's going to be blunt and quick. It's going to be quick and full of deliciousness.

I have already taken too long.

I made this dish last week for Sunday dinner. I love Sunday dinner. Sunday dinner with a table full or just with Chris and I. It is a tradition that my parents started and I am sure their parents and their parents too. I just love the idea of having a nice dinner on a night when things are slow. There is no rush to go anywhere, no rush to eat and get to bed. There is time afterwards to sip on a glass of wine. There is time to do the dishes. And there is time to just catch your breath and enjoy the meal that you have just had. *

*Except when the 'Walking Dead' is in season - and then there is a little bit of dining and dashing.

I saw Jamie Oliver (who I adore) whip this up on one of his 30 minute meal shows. I didn't have the recipe exactly - so I improvised a bit.

IMG_4084

Chicken in a Creamy Mustard Sauce or Jamie's Chicken

4 bone-in chicken breasts (you don't have to use bone-in)
1 tbsp dried mustard
Pinch of kosher salt and pepper

Sauce
1 medium onion - diced
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup chicken stock
2 heaping tablespoons of dijon mustard
2 tbsp freshly chopped rosemary

Pre-heat the oven to 375.

In a large skillet - heat a tbsp of olive oil in medium-high heat.

IMG_4083

Season the chicken breasts with the dry mustard and kosher salt and pepper. Place the chicken skin side down in the hot skillet. Cook the chicken for about 12 minutes. The skin will be nicely browned. Transfer them to a baking dish and let them continue to cook while you make the creamy sauce. About 10-12 minutes.

In the same skillet add the onion and let cook for about 7 minutes until the onion is soft. Add in the white wine and chicken stock and let it deglaze the pan and pick up all the tasty bits. Add in the dijon mustard and rosemary. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring often.

IMG_4078

Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. And then what I like to do is cut the chicken off the bone - and cut it on a diagonal, then place it on a platter and pour the sauce over top.

IMG_4089

I served this broccoli that I quickly stir-fried with a bit of chicken stock and fresh lemon zest.

IMG_4087

I also roasted tomatoes in the oven while the chicken was cooking and served them on the vine.

IMG_4093

Alright friends - here is to a fabulous week. May it be a lovely one for each and everyone of you. I can feel it in my bones - and my bones are good these days - that this is going to be a stellar week.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: