Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Eggs for dinner. Yum.

IMG_4003 

Well it's April. Seriously - what happened to the last 3 months? It has just flew by. In a good way. I am happy that spring has finally reached us here. It's beautiful. The sun has been shining, the cherry blossoms, daffodils, tulips have been blossoming, the birds are chirping, and dog walks do not involve gumboots and an umbrella. I like that.

IMG_4005

Easter around this house was low key. We had good friends and my mom in for dinner. The Easter Bunny didn't hide chocolate eggs - surprisingly chocolates were purchased and eaten. Oh how I love the Easter chocolate. We finished our 3 month program on Sunday - so we have a week in between - and I have sort of been eating chocolate like I haven't in months and months. Not a ton - but definitely nibbling.

I have had a flu bug for over a week now. Today is the first day - that I have sort of felt a bit back to normal. I didn't just jinx it. I know that I didn't. I haven't worked out in over a week. I have had a bit of cabin fever - I have been missing my workouts - especially my runs with my running girls. I am not sure what hit me - but apparently there is a nasty bug going around that lasts and lasts. I have been doing so good at boycotting any sort of sickness - but this one just sort of snuck up and bit me in the Royal Canadian.

For Easter, I made a ham for the first time. I am kicking myself for not taking a picture of it. It turned out really well, delicious and full of flavour. I don't 'love' ham, which is pretty much the reason why I haven't made one before. I like it in little doses, so with some of the leftovers I made up a quiche tonight.

This recipe is a crustless quiche recipe. It's full of protein and vegetables - and a little bit of cheese to give it the ooey-gooey factor. This is very similar to one of my favourite egg recipes that I love making for dinner - Baked Eggs.

IMG_4043

Crustless Quiche

1 small onion - chopped
1 pepper - chopped
1 small zucchini - chopped
1 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
2 cups of chopped ham
1 heaping tbsp of dijon mustard
6 eggs
1/4 skim milk
1 cup shredded cheese - cheddar or mozzarella
Kosher salt
Chili pepper flakes

Pre-heat the oven to 400.

In a skillet, drizzle a tsp of olive oil. Add in the onions with a pinch of kosher salt and saute for about 7 minutes. Add in all of the vegetables and chopped ham and saute over medium heat for another 5 minutes or until vegetables are starting to soften. Add in a tbsp of the dijon mustard and stir it in. Remove from the heat.

In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and the milk. Add in the cheese and stir it all together.

Using cooking spray, lightly spray a pie dish.

Add in the vegetables and ham.

Pour the egg/cheese mixture over top of the vegetables and ham.

IMG_4039

Bake in the 400 oven for 30 minutes.

Remove it from the oven - and serve it nice and hot.

IMG_4046

Alrighty friends - I am off to watch The Voice and avoid the chocolate that is calling me from the kitchen.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: