Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Running down memory lane

In the spirit of remembering - my blog from the other day - yesterday was a day full of people, places and things that reminded me of good things. I love it when something happens, or you see someone, or you something crosses your senses somehow to remind you of pure bliss.

I will take a bit of a walk down memory lane - and share.

Garden May 2007 025

We went for a run last night with my workout group. We met down on Dallas Road - an amazing place, high up on the cliffs overlooking the incredible ocean. It's a perfect place - rain or shine - the best place if you are a dog lover or love to people watch. I used to take my pup, Maggie, there almost everyday. We used to either walk there - or drive down and take a walk from one end to the other. She would be off leash, running the entire time. Barking at any dog approaching her. She would sometimes carry a ball and psych out other dogs to try and grab it from her and then attack. She was fierce. But she was fierce in a loving way and wouldn't hurt a soul.

Running along the path, reminded me of her so much. It reminded me of what an incredible companion she was. If it weren't for her, we wouldn't have walked everyday. She loved to walk down there in the rain. When there were severe windstorms. And when the sun was hot. If I close my eyes - I can picture her running back to me with a smile on her face. Boy, I miss that dog.

Running along the path also reminded me of how far I have come over the past years with my running 'career' (what I like to call it) and how years ago it would have been a struggle the entire run. For last night, my run was incredible. I felt strong. I felt confident. I felt fierce. We ran @ 5.5k - and I did it in 35 minutes. The speed isn't important to me. I realize that speed isn't what I need to focus on. What my favour part of the run was - is that I was able to run the full 35 minutes with one short minute walk after 15 minutes. I remember all of the runs that I have done over the years when I was in a running clinic - and how I would be upset that I was slow, that I would tell myself I wasn't strong enough, good enough.

I am happy to remember that all the times that I tried to tell myself that I would someday succeed at running has come true. It just goes to show that if you want something, if you trust yourself that you can make it happen.

I also ran into someone (not really) that I haven't seen in a very long time. My friend Dave, that I met years ago at work. He reminded me a time when we used to work together - where I used to talk in a native African dialect 'Click click click'. So funny. I had forgotten about it - and he reminded me - and I love that after all these years we had a great laugh about it.

So that's it for me for today. Not sure why I am feeling nostalgic - but I just love that the simplest thing can evoke a wonderful memory.

I have a great recipe to share - but not today. I feel that this chicken recipe that I want to share may need a blog all on it's own. I saw a picture of these on Pinterest the other day - forgot to pin it - so had to try and replicate it. I think that it worked out. I ended up eating all of them. What??? Remember that!

IMG_4094

Cucumber Chicken Salad Sandwiches

1 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast - chopped into small pieces or shredded
1 pepper - orange, red or yellow to give it some brightness - chopped into small pieces
1 cucumber - using a sharp knife, cut into thin slices

Dressing:
1/2 non-fat plain yogurt
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Pinch of kosher salt

In a bowl, mix the dressing ingredients together. Add in the chopped chicken and peppers and mix together.

IMG_4096

Then assemble. Piece of cucumber, chicken salad, and another piece of cucumber.

Yum!

IMG_4098

They are easy to eat. The cucumber is substantial enough to not crumble in your hands.

If you are wanting a 'heartier' version of chicken salad - check THIS one out.

Alright friends.  I hope that your week is going well. The weekend is calling - and not so far away.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: