Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A newer version of seafood chowder

It's been so long. So, so long. I have been here, there and everywhere. I have been exercising, I have been on exciting adventures, I have been running, I have been cooking up storms, I have been cleaning, I have been purging from the closets.

I have also been dreaming of - gardening, a spotless house, hot vacations, ice cream, long walks on the beach.

me at dirty

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Seattle with a lovely group of ladies. We went to the Dirty Girl - 5K Dirty Girl - obstacle course. We did a quick trip into Seattle, did some heavy duty outlet mall shopping and ran, climbed, jumped and dragged our butts through a lot of mud - and had an amazing time.

I would do it again - in a heartbeat.  And hopefully next year!

I have been cooking lots - eating well - trying to stay on track. Prepping everything on a Sunday - has been my key. I have a good week when I plan ahead. When I say 'good week' - I mean a few different things. But one of those things - is eating well. Staying on track - eating what I want to eat and what I should eat.

We have had some cold and wet weather here. I am not sure if summer is on it's way - or if we will just have a windy, wet summer. Or... is it just around the corner and waiting to hit us with some lovely hot hot sun? I hope the latter.

Last night - after a wet and soggy run - I came home and whipped up a pot of salmon chowder. I have made this before - just did it a bit differently this time. You can see the previous seafood chowder HERE. Oh my has my picture taking improved. Phew.

IMG_4356

This recipe was fast and easy. I prepared the 'broth' before I went for my run - and finished it up when I got home.

Seafood Chowder

1 small onion - diced
1 cup low sodium chicken stock
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
1/2 jalapeno - diced - pith and seeds removed if you don't want it to spicy (I used half of this)
2 peppers - 1 red, 1 yellow
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 cup of cilantro - diced
1 can of lite coconut milk
Fresh salmon - cut into large chunks -
Fresh prawns

In a large pot - saute the onion in a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the chicken stock and stir to get all of the onion goodness. Add in the canned tomatoes and jalapeno. Simmer for about 10 minutes. With a hand blender - or food processor - blend it all up - so that it has a creamy texture.

*Now if you are doing half and half - remove the pot from the heat, cover, and go and do what you like to do. If not - then just keep on cookin'.

Add in the peppers, lime juice, ginger, chopped cilantro and coconut milk. Let it continue to simmer for about another 10 minutes. Add in the salmon and prawns - and let it cook for another 7-8 minutes.

And that's it. The flavour of the coconut milk, lime and cilantro - mixed with the salmon and prawns - is fresh and delightful.

 IMG_4355

Alrighty friends - I hope you are well and healthy and loving life.

Loves.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a fantastic photo of you! love it! Jocelyn

Anonymous said...

Amazing picture of you cherzies!!!!! Xo marsh