Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Everyone needs pasta (well, once in awhile)

IMG_4187 

Happy Tuesday. I am a fan of Tuesday's. I like them because it means I survived a Monday - which let's face it - those days are hard sometimes. And then, it means that at the end of the day - I am that much closer to the weekend. Which let's face it - everyone loves a good weekend. Oh meohmy - how I enjoy the weekend.

Summer is here. Technically it's not really here - but it is hot. We have had some lovely weather. 28 on Sunday. I love the sun, and I love that it has stopped raining. I enjoy the heat - but I am a bit of a wimp when it gets too hot and I have to do stuff in it. Like running, working out, sitting, walking up my stairs, sleeping, walking the dogs.... you get it. But, don't worry, I am not complaining. I am going to try and not complain this time when I think that it's too hot. I will probably just grin and sweat.

IMG_4185

A couple of weekends ago we did UFC at our place and I whipped up a batch of pasta. I haven't had pasta in awhile, but I followed advice - and 'carbed' up. Ha - what a great treat to have. I love pasta. I have just tried to stay away from it because I love it so - and I know that eating a small bowl isn't realistic. Since I was going to run the 10K the next day - I thought that a treat to give me the needed energy was in store.

I think that it's ok to have pasta from time to time - or even more if you really love it - just be mindful of what you're having with it - or the kind of pasta that you're having. I have a pack of brown rice pasta that we will try sometime soon. I'll keep you posted on how we liked it.

Ok - so back to the UFC - I wanted something easy that we could all enjoy - something that was healthy and deelish. It was a good dish - and one that I will definitely make again.

IMG_4189

Pasta with salmon and vegetables

1 large fillet of salmon
Juice of 1 lemon

2 small shallots - finely diced
2 garlic cloves - grated or finely chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 stock (I used chicken)
1 tbsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 large pepper - diced
2 cups - grape tomatoes - cut in half
1 cup peas (I used frozen)
1/2 cup goat cheese
Juice of a lemon

Pasta - I used linguini for the guys - and I used whole wheat vermicelli - a little thinner and not so heavy - cook as per instruction until al dente

Pre-heat the oven to 400. On a lined baking sheet - place the large fillet - and top with the lemon juice. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes - or until the salmon is cooked through. You still want it moist - so don't overcook.

In a skillet, drizzle a tbsp of olive oil and heat the shallots. Cook on medium heat. Season with sprinkle of kosher salt and cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Pour in the wine and stock. Add in the seasonings. Add in the peppers, tomatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add in the goat cheese and peas and let simmer for a couple of minutes. Add in the fresh lemon juice. If you find the sauce not so 'saucy' add in a bit of the pasta water.

Pull off chunks of the salmon and add it into the sauce - stirring gently.

Place the pasta in the bowl and top with the sauce.

IMG_4193

The cheese will melt slightly and make the sauce creamy. All of the ingredients go so deliciously together.

Alright - I am off to watch the hockey game - we're PVR'ing it - just waiting for C to get home. Please don't call and tell me the score. No seriously don't.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: