Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Salad-a-palooza!

IMG_4222 

Quick post tonight - just wanting to share my dinner tonight, after all that is what this wee blog is supposed to be about.

This post is dedicated to all those people that work so hard and everything that they do - and want to try and make a decent meal for themselves and their loved ones - and do it in time that will have them free and enjoying life instead of slaving over a hot stove - or feeling defeated and going for KFC. (Um, I drove by KFC tonight on the way to my workout - and I am not going to lie - it smelled frickin' good - it doesn't tempt me though).

When I workout on Wednesday nights - I like to be able to come home and eat right after. I usually try to have dinner done before I go - so that when I come home - I can just eat. Now, when I say 'come home' - that sort of looks like me cringing as I try to get out of the car, make my way up the front steps and curse as I try get my shoes off. And that my friends, is an indication of what Wednesday night workouts are like. Does it sound like I am complaining? Well, I sort of am - but it's a good complaining.  Sweating and pushing yourself to the max is good for you. If only I realized that so many years ago.

Alright - back to it. I have developed the easiest tzatziki recipe - I love the stuff. It's all about time. Making quick recipes that are easy - that are full of flavour - and that are good for you - is what this girl is all about. The 'girl' is me :) You can make some of the components - are all of them - in advance.

IMG_4220

Tzatziki Quinoa Salad

2 cups of uncooked quinoa - if you have a rice cooker - use it! It's the best and easiest way to cook it. Season it with a pinch of kosher salt and 2 tbsp of lemon juice and cook it up.

IMG_4219

2 boneless chicken breasts - cooked in 375 oven for 35 minutes
Cool - and chop into bite size pieces

IMG_4218

Vegetables (use what you love)
4 celery stalks - chopped
2 peppers - chopped into small pieces
Tomatoes - grapes halved - or small tomatoes quartered

IMG_4216

Tzatziki - this is so easy - so deelish
2 garlic cloves
1/2 long english cucumber - peeled - and cut into large pieces
2 tbsp of lemon juice
Fresh dill - lots of it
1 cup of non-fat greek yogurt - if you have not tried Costco brand - try it. It's so good.

In a small food processor - chop/pulse up the garlic. Add in the lemon juice a pinch of kosher salt, the cucumber and the dill. Pulse it up so that it is all pureed up. Add in the yogurt and pulse it up again. It will be a smooth consistency, full of flavour and so delicious.

Cool the quinoa - and stir in the tzatziki. Add in the vegetables, and stir it up. Then add in the chicken and mix it all again. If you like to some feta or goat cheese - add that in as well. A salad is so good with both.

Alrightyoh. I am off to watch a bit of the Canucks. I am not sure why I am nervous - I haven't watched much hockey at all this year.

Go CANUCKS GO!!!

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: