Monday, June 10, 2013

Goals. Shall we?

I have been thinking about writing this post all week. Seriously! We have been having wireless router issues at our abode - and yesterday afternoon - I finally got Mr. C to call our internet provider and fix it. It's sort of bad that I knew that a call had to be put in to get it sorted - I just didn't have the time or the energy to do it. As a result - I didn't spend any time outside of work online - and had full evenings. So... not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that the wifi is fixed.

Last week I ran in The Goddess Run. My cousin, Margo, came down from up island and we did it together. We have been planning the run for quite some time. When we initially talked about doing it, and picking which distance that we wanted to do - we agreed on the 5k. My goal at that time was to be able to run the entire run without stopping. "My goal"... I haven't set goals for myself. Well maybe little ones - here and there - things to help me get through the week. I am not much of a goal setter. I have dabbled in why - and I think that I have discovered the answer. Maybe.

I think that I am afraid, or hesitant, or weary of setting a goal for the simple fact that if I don't accomplish it, I have failed. When I think about possibly failing at something - it sort of disables me with fear - and the fear then sort of takes on a role of it's own. That little bit of fear is sort of a little bit like the 'devil on my shoulder' (as my brother likes to call it).

Some people are happy with using fear as a motivator. I am not one of those. For me - I am able to recognize it - and instead of accepting it and working with that - I will talk myself into believing that the little devil on my shoulder is right - and that the fear has won.

I have a plan though. I am working at recognizing the fear - figuring out what is causing it - trying to work with it - and then kicking it in the butt. There are some things that this won't work for. For example: I am afraid of snakes. I have no plans to overcome that.

So, my goal for running the full 5K at the Goddess Run - was sort of the first fitness goal that I have set for myself. I had a 'plan' for the 10K run that I did in the end of April. My plan was to run as far as I could without stopping and then starting my 10 and 1 intervals. My plan worked. I didn't have a time - I just wanted to be strong and healthy, be prepared, and run the best run that I could.

margo goddess

My goal for the Goddess Run was reached. I started out with my cousin and my fave running friend Steph. Margo and I ran the entire race together - we ran the entire 5K (with about an 8 second speed walk up a hill - the walk was actually faster than the run at that point). I wanted to set a goal time - but I thought one goal was enough. However, the goal that I was going to set was going to be under 35 minutes. I ended up finishing it in 35 minutes and 9 seconds. I guess I should have set the goal - because I would have been so close to achieving it.

goddess

For me - setting goals are going to be something that I am going to work on. I am going to start small - and work my way up. I am going to set realistic goals - so I know that I can achieve them. I am also going to set goals that will challenge me. And remember that the challenges are not set so that I will fail - but to make me achieve things that I set out to achieve.

I have a couple of goals that I am happy to share:
1. Run the Half-Marathon in October at the GoodLife Marathon
2. Set a running schedule for myself so that I can reach Goal #1
3. Finish our bedroom - before the end of June
4. Lose 10 pounds before the end of summer
5. Have my phew's favourite chicken wings - be mine

IMG_4377

#5 - my phew's favourite foods are: Caesar Salad, Wings and Ribs. I think that he could probably sustain himself on these foods. I get his approval when I make anything for him - but recently I made a new chicken wing recipe for an appetizer for my mom's birthday. He gave me a thumb's up - and gave them a rating of 4.5 out of 5. Hmm? He admitted that his favourites were the Louisiana Style from M&M's. I'm sure you can imagine my dismay. Challenge Accepted.

IMG_4197

Apple Cider and Honey Wings
(I made a huge amount of these as I normally do - so this recipe could be cut down if you aren't making as much - I knew that I made enough when my phew asked 'How many wings are here?' when I set the platter down in front of him)

*I always cook my wings first - without the sauce. I can do them earlier in the day or even the day before - and then saucing them up slightly before wanting to serve them.

IMG_4206

4 dozen chicken wings
Kosher salt and Pepper
1 cup of honey
2/3 cup of apple cider vinegar

Pre-heat the oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray a baking rack with cooking spray and place the rack on the baking sheet. Place the wings on the baking rack (they can be squished together) and season them with kosher salt and pepper.

Bake for 35 minutes. You want to have the skin become crispy. Remove them from the oven and let them cool and then place in a sealed container and refrigerate until wanting to sauce them up before serving. Or just remove them from the rack and place on another lined baking sheet.

For the sauce: Whisk the honey and apple cider vinegar together. Add in kosher salt and pepper.

Reduce the oven to 400.

Place the wings on the lined baking sheet and brush on half of the apple cider and honey. Bake for 15 minutes.  Brush on the rest of the apple cider and honey. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.

The skins will be gooey and sticky.

IMG_4201

Remove from the oven and serve hot. They look deelish - if you sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top. Serve with a sliced apple, carrot or celery.

IMG_4194

My goal is to make these wings perfect - so that they are better than his current favourites.

IMG_4378

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: