Saturday, August 24, 2013

Kale, kale, KALE!!!!


This little bundle of LOVE, got me a great cookbook for my birthday. We have a plan that the next time we get together, we will make something from my cookbook - and the one that I gave her for Christmas. We just have to pick the best recipes ever.

I have flipped through the cookbook - Cooking Light Best Recipe Makeover - many, many times. I LOVE cookbooks. Can't help it. I love them, and I love cooking magazines. 'When' I have a kitchen that was is big that you could set up camp in it - I would have a wall full of cookbooks and cooking magazines. In the interim, they are just scattered around the house - a few on the coffee table, some on the kitchen counter, some in a basket in the living room... oh my.

Well - I was scanning the book and I came across a recipe that is sort of like what I made tonight. I scanned the ingredients and how they did it - and just ran with it. The recipe called for broccoli rabe - but I used something different.

Usually when I make a dish - I am very excited to share it. Well this is recipe is no different - but I am in love with it - and if you like fresh kale and other delicious ingredients, try this one!


I used one of my brother's onions for this recipe (well half of one) and I am not kidding when I say this - but these are the very best onions that I have ever had. They are so flavourful - just incredible.



Kale with grapes and turkey italian sausage

6 italian turkey sausages
2 cups of grapes - cut in half
1 can of white beans - rinsed
3 extra large kale leaves with stalks
1/2 medium onion - sliced
1 clove of garlic - minced
1/2 cup white wine - or you can use stock (vegetable or chicken)
Kosher salt and pepper
Parmesan - shavings

In a large skillet - add a drizzle of olive oil and heat to medium heat. Remove the sausage from the casings and crumble as it cooks. Cook for about 8 minutes.


I like to chop the kale into thin strips, almost like thin ribbons.

Add in the grapes, white beans and kale. Season with a pinch of kosher salt. Cook this together for about 4 minutes. Remove everything from the skillet and put in a bowl.

Add another small drizzle of olive oil into the same pan, and add in the onions. Simmer over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and the white wine. Simmer for another 4 minutes - season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper.

Add in the kale mixture, give in a good toss. The kale should be slighted wilted, and everything should be nice and warm.


Serve on a platter and top with parmesan shavings. I use my potato peeler for very thin shavings of the delightful cheese.

You could easily make this vegetarian - with taking out the meat and using Ground Round, or just take it out completely.

I had a huge helping of this tonight - and oh my - thank heavens for leftovers.

Loves!

Enjoy.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great Cherly, you will have to make it for me when I come home

Jessiker said...

I love kale! I can't wait to try this recipe :)