Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Summer loves.


I'mmmmm back.

Where have I been? Here, there and everywhere. Well not really. We went on a little holiday - over to Point Roberts for few nights - and then a road trip up to the Okanagan with my nieces and nephew - bringing them home. They stayed with us at the Point the entire time - and it was lovely. The Okanagan was lovely. I really like it there. Even when it was so hot and I thought that my legs were going to melt - I still loved it. We had a great trip - it was relaxing, it was so nice being with family, and the only part that I didn't like, was that it was over too soon.


We went for dinner one night at Poplar Grove Winery. This was a part of our view. The dinner was tasty - not my most memorable dinner - but the view made up for it. And the dessert was so decadent that I was not complaining. My dinner date was lovely too. :)


Just before dinner, my brother hooked me up with a guy who we could get wine barrels from. I have wanted some for so long - and was super excited to be able to pick up a few. We felt like true 'Okanaganers' driving around with a set of them in the back of our pickup. I am not sure what I will be doing with them quite yet - but I think that they will find a place on the deck - and more than likely be for plants - maybe even an herb garden.

Caramelized onion very thin crust pizza with shaved parmesan cheese and a ricotta herb base

I did a bit of cooking over the trip. I love cooking for the masses at the Point. I seriously spend hours in the kitchen making dinner there. The kitchen is old - dated - but the appliances (well the stove and oven) are original to the house - over 50 years old - and they still work so well. I love that I have to bring my own kosher salt and olive oil with me.

I made my own birthday dinner - my choice. Again - I love cooking for the masses. This year - mini turkey burgers with greek orzo salad. My nephew developed his own burger - that I will be sharing with you shortly. I think that I may have helped create a bit of a foodie this trip. Stay tuned when he is my next Guest Chef - it's going to be good.

So - all in all - great trip. And now - back to the good life. Working, training for a half marathon, working out lots, trying to keep up with my endless garden that exists of tomatoes and two basil plants. And when I say 'tomatoes', I mean A LOT of tomatoes. We have enjoyed a few happy hours in the sun  - it's my most favourite part of the weekend when the sun is out.




I am addicted to blueberries once again. My annual addiction - that lasts the entire year. Figure that out :) I made tiny blue berry pies in muffin tins - using my Grandma's blueberry pie recipe - and cut the sugar into almost nothing. I added probably 1 tbsp of cane sugar. I also cheated and used store bought pie crusts - and cut them into circles and used larger muffin tins. They were deelish.

And then I created this dish. I am not sure what to call it - but I know that it was good because my husband is not a fan of zucchini and he can't stop eating it. It's like you're eating pasta, but you're not.


Zucchini love - aka - zucchini pasta 'wannabe'

2 medium zucchinis
1 medium onion - chopped
1 large garlic clove - grated or minced
2 cups of grape tomatoes - halved or quartered (depending on how large they are)
1/2 cup of white wine - or stock
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup goat cheese


Using a potato peeler - peel the zucchini in strips working your way through the zucchini on one side until you come to the center. Then start on another side of the zucchini and do the same thing. You should end up with the center almost being square - and a lot of very thin - wide strips of zucchini. (I have saved the insides of the zucchini and will probably use it for salad or stirfry.

In a skillet - saute the onion in a dash of olive oil and season with a pinch or two of kosher salt. Saute for about 8 minutes over medium heat and add in the garlic. Saute for about 2 minutes and then add in the wine. If you don't want to use wine - low sodium chicken stock would work great.

Simmer for a couple of minutes and then add in the tomatoes. Continue to simmer for a couple of minutes and then add in the zucchini and fresh basil. Gently toss the zucchini in the sauce. Add in the crumbled goat cheese and season with another pinch of kosher salt and some fresh ground pepper.


This with a grilled steak or a piece of grilled salmon - is a complete summer meal. I cannot wait to raid my sister's garden for more zucchini and make this again.

Alrighty friends - I hope that you're loving your summers.

Loves.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are back on to your blog, I fee closer to you when I can see what you are eating, the zicchini dish looks amazing. Hugh made zucchini pancakes one morning, all he used was zucchini and flour, didn't taste one.