Thursday, August 29, 2013

Warm it up - you'll love it.

I love food. Who doesn't? I love everything about it - love looking at it, smelling it, cooking it, eating it... just pure love.

When I look at cookbooks or cooking magazines or items on a menu, or dishes on tv - I am always thinking about how I can make it my own. Non-stop. I love it.

The other day my friend Tanya, was telling me about a dish that she had at Nourish. It was eggs benedict on yams, with kale, eggs and an almond hollandaise sauce. While she was describing the dish so deliciously, all I was thinking was 'challenge accepted'. Please don't tell Tanya this - I don't want her to think that I wasn't listening. I was. Oh I was.


So, challenge accepted - I had my bestie, Tracy, over for dinner and I tried to make my own version. We really liked how it turned out - and gobbled it all up.


Warm Summer Salad

For the salad:
1 large yam - diced
2 bell peppers - diced
1 large bunch of kale - chop it up into thin strips

For the dressing:
2 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove - grated
Kosher salt and pepper

Poached eggs - check out how to do a perfect poached egg - HERE


In a large skillet, with a drizzle of olive oil, cook the diced yams. Add a seasoning of kosher salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until they start to get soft. Add in the diced peppers for the last couple of minutes. Remove the yams and peppers from the skillet and place them in a bowl.


In the same skillet, add the kale with another small drizzle of olive oil. Saute for just a couple of minutes - the kale will start to slightly wilt, give it a nice little seasoning of kosher salt. Remove from the skillet and toss in the same bowl with the yam and peppers.

For the dressing:

In a double boiler - add all of the ingredients and heat over low heat. Just enough to become silky and warm.  Pour over the kale and yams and gently toss.

Plate the salad and top with a poached egg.


The warm kale with bites of the yams and sweet peppers is divine. And then... oh my, and then when you break into the warm poached egg and the yolk drains over the salad - heaven.


I think that it's so fabulous to heat up salad ingredients - it gives them another layer of flavour - and brings the normal to a whole new level.

Loves.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG My mouth is watering, looks delicious, want to try that one too when I get home.