Saturday, November 9, 2013

Getting back into the swing of things - which includes soup!

It's definitely becoming winter. This time last week, we were sitting in the airport in Maui getting ready to board a plane to come home. It was hot. It was 8ish pm, we were still wearing shorts and flip flops. I was crying because I didn't want to leave paradise. Husband was playing Bejeweled. I was crying because we ate the bag of Maui chips that I bought for my nephew days earlier, and I couldn't find another bag at the aiport. Husband was still playing Bejeweled. I stocked the Starbucks and spent a wad on stuff for the flight that I didn't really need. Husband... you get it.


Well, I wasn't really crying. But you know that feeling - the one that you have from an amazing holiday that you don't want to end. You know that when it ends - life goes back to normal - and our normal is no sun, surf, heat, SQ smoothies, daily Coronas with lots of lime, flip flops with everything and being almost permanent residents on the beach.


So, as we have come home and have wonderful memories - it's time to get back into the swing of things. Swing of things for me = work, dog walks, working out, cooking, grocery shopping, catching up on HW of NJ, raking the leaves in the back yard - stuff like that. It's not glamourous, but it's real life - and it's full.


I couldn't decide what recipe to share tonight - so I thought I would just share a soup to help warm you up on a cold winter's night. Because friends - it's winter.  Cauliflower. Yumma. I have shared my love of cauliflower before; you can check out some of the recipes:

Mashed Cauliflower - you can pretend it's mashed potatoes.
Cauliflower fritters - these are really tasty. I think that I should make them again, soon!
Cauliflower Gratin - the picture for this one makes me want to weep. I need to make this soon too!
Cauliflower crust pizza - hello!

I see that most times when I do a cauliflower recipe - I like to share older cauliflower recipes - man I love this stuff.

Anyways - I have done a cauliflower soup before - you can see it HERE. This recipe isn't too different - just slightly. Both are hearty - and flavourful. This can remain a vegetarian or vegan friendly.


Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Curry Soup

2 heads of cauliflower - chop up the heads into florets
1 large leek - sliced into thin strips
1/2 cup white wine
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of curry powder
1.5 litres of low sodium vegetable broth*
Optional: ham, chicken, tofu - some sort of protein

*If you don't have any homemade vegetable broth on hand - Pacific brand is great - and carries a very flavourful - low sodium option.

Garnish: diced up apple and plain greek yogurt

Pre-heat the oven to 425.

I like to line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Place the cauliflower florets on the sheet with the garlic. Using a oil spritzer - spritz the cauliflower and garlic so that the are covered with oil (lightly), season with kosher salt. If you don't have a spritzer, no worries. Just add the cauliflower and garlic to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and give it a good toss.

Roast in the pre-heated over for about 20-25 minutes, until they are soft and slightly roasted in colour.


In the meantime, in a large pot, drizzle about 1 tbsp of olive oil, and over medium heat, saute the leek with a seasoning of kosher salt for about 15 minutes. When the leeks are translucent, add in the white wine and scrape all of the delicious leek(y) bits off the bottom of the pan.

Add in the roasted cauliflower. Remove the skins from the garlic, and add that in as well. Add in the curry powder and give ensure that everything gets stirred in together. Add in the broth, turn the heat down slightly and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes.


Using a hand blender, or a blender (just be careful of the hot soup) blend it all up until you don't have any chunks of cauliflower. If you are adding protein, this is a good time to do it.


Let it simmer for a couple more minutes - and then serve it up.

I like to serve it up with a dollop of greek yogurt and a bit of diced up apple, and then a slice of naan bread.



And that's it. It makes a huge pot of soup - and it freezes really well.

Alrighty friends - I hope that you're enjoying your weekend - there is one full day left. Make the most of it.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: